Monday, June 6, 2016

A500.7.4.GA-Quantitative Research reflection- Trey McNeil

This week I had the opportunity to read about and inform myself on quantitative research methods. Unlike last week with qualitative research methods, I had an idea about quantitative methods before I began my readings. Quantitative research involves experimental methods and statistics to test a hypothesis.  (Hoepfl, 1997) Qualitative and quantitative methods differ in the reasoning behind the research. Qualitative research tests the how where quantitative methods test the why. (Mamia, nd) Quantitative is the more common type of research method and the surveys usually involve multiple choice questions in order to prove or disprove an idea. Quantitative research involves numerical terms that can be analyzed by statistical methods. (Mamia, nd) The study group for a quantitative research study is usually much larger than with a qualitative study. ”Quantitative data is based on precise measurements using structured & validated data-collection instruments” (Xavier University Library, 2012). One disadvantage of quantitative research is that is static and is difficult to produce a dynamic view of the research. (Mamia, nd) After my reading I was able to come to the conclusion that quantitative research involves numerical or statistical data gathered over a large scale to prove an idea or hypothesis.

As a person that deals with numbers on a daily basis, I found quantitative research much more understanding. I know some people do not work with numbers as often as I do so this type of method can cause some people to glaze over. I believe this type of research can be made more enjoyable in the correct setting. I used to be an annual pass holder at Disney and occasionally, as I was leaving the park, would get asked to take a short ten minute survey about my experience at the park that particular day. I would observe some other people not want to partake in the survey due to being too tired or the kids being grumpy. I always relished in the opportunity to fill out the survey. The survey would ask questions regarding the most preferred ride, food, or how to make the park more enjoyable. I always thought it was cool and hoped one day they would take one of my recommendations on the few open ended questions. I asked myself why not put it out there so the things I love can be kept and the things that leave me wanting more can be hopefully adjusted.

I recently had the opportunity to create and administer my own quantitative survey. I had the fortune of asking my coworkers nine questions regarding their level of followership in our department. I would have loved to ask them many more because I have become very interested in this subject and outcome. I was able to synthesize and study the data and was pleased to realize that a pattern unfolded to tell our department’s story regarding followership. I know it may be naive but I would love to take this data and help our leadership grow the department’s level of followership. I am optimistic that we can grow to be an even greater department and I would like to be a part of that growth.

Though the statistics and methodologies behind quantitative methods can seem dry at some times, this method is very useful in the world of research. Maybe everyone does not want to make Disney a better place but taking the time to answer a survey for a cable or phone company has the possibility for useful change that could add value (or at lease limit frustration) to your experience.

References

Hoepfl, M. (1997). Choosing qualitative research: a primer for technology education researchers. In M. Sanders (Ed.), Journal of Technology Education, 9(1). Retrieved from http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JTE/v9n1/hoepfl.html

Xavier University Library (2012). Qualitative versus quantitative research. Retrieved from http://www.xavier.edu/library/students/documents/qualitative_quantitative.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment