Monday, January 9, 2017

A633.7.3.RB-Leader Follower Relationship- Trey McNeil

One thing that has become obvious to me throughout my venture in the leadership program is that the world is made up of many different types of leaders and there is no cookie cutter recipe on how to become a successful leader. What type of leader do you consider yourself in relation to your followers?  Are you more focused on the goals or the people of the organization? Are you more apt to push information and ideas onto your followers or pull information from your followers? Is one action better than the other or does the situation drive the action? Utilizing exercise 10.1 in the Obolensky (2014) text, I was able to determine the area I fall within the leadership scale.

The funny thing is that before I began the leadership program I did not see myself as a leader in any form or fashion. I did not think I had the confidence to be successful in the leadership program let alone see myself as a leader.  I had false a perception of what leadership actually was.  I now realize that leadership can come from each and every position in an organization. Obolensky (2014) stated that there are four styles of situational leadership styles including Telling (S1), Selling (S2), Involving (S3) and Devolving (S4). After completing the exercise, I discovered that I follow the involving (S3) style of situational leadership.

Obolensky (2014) offered various scenarios including “Your subordinates are highly qualified and are well capable of doing a good job. But they have not performed as well as they could and do not seem keen to do so” (p. 168). I chose the answer that allowed the subordinates to be most involved. I would ask why performance seems to be declining and pursue recommendations on how to increase performance. Other choices included reiterating to them about the targets (tell), monitor the situation but take no action at this point in time (devolve), and remind them of benefits reached by hitting the targets (sell). How do you think you would handle this situation?

My decision of asking the followers to become involved in solving the performance issue is one example of why I fit into the (S3) style of leadership. I have always felt that knowledge should be shared with all who are willing to accept. The pull approach of the (S3) style of management allows me to educate followers while helping them develop additional skills. Heifetz and Laurie (1997) stated that leaders must alter their thinking in adaptive situations. The traditional way to handle issues was relying on leadership through solutions, but in adaptive situations leaders must begin to rely on their employees to be the catalyst for the solution. (Heifetz & Laurie, 1997). This altered point of view of relying on the followers and not the solutions is in line with the (S3) leadership style which is more concentrated on people than on goals.

I am not surprised by where I ranked in the leadership matrix. I have always valued people and believe that teaching someone to understand is more valuable than telling them what to do. What I did find surprising was the volume in which my answers related to (S3) leadership. The answer I chose was linked to (S3) leadership in nine of the sixteen questions. According to Obolensky (2014), my score indicated that I could become too emotionally invested and work too hard. This also does not surprise me because according to Rath and Conchie (2008), I ranked as an achiever. “People strong in the Achiever theme have a great deal of stamina and hard work. They take great satisfaction from being busy and productive” (Rath & Conchie, 2008, p. 103). I would not agree 100% with taking pride in being productive, but I have always seen myself as a dedicated worker when attempting to complete a goal.

As I previously mentioned, I have learned a lot about myself and the type of leader I am over the course of the leadership program. The learning process and reformed line of thinking have continued in this class. One important bit of information discussed in this class was chaos theory. As I have discussed in previous assignments, I am a preparer and like to have an answer for every issue or problem. Chaos theory made me change my thinking for the better. Sometimes things will seem chaotic and complex but I must continue to trust the process.  

My thinking regarding followers has also changed throughout this class. I had the short-sighted thought process that there were three types of followers. One follower spent their day riding out the clock and trying to unnoticeably do as little as possible until it was time to go home and do it all over again. Another follower spent their day doing everything possible to be noticed and maybe have a chance to move up the proverbial ladder. The final follower was somewhere between the other two types of followers. They possessed a mid-level skill and will. They did not want to do so much that they were noticed and labeled the star student, but also did not want to be put at the back of the class. It was interesting to learn about the levels of followership and discover that high-level followers exist with no intention of becoming a leader.

One goal I have developed after taking part in this exercise is that my style of leadership may need to be slightly altered. Obolensky (2014) stated that a leader should ideally hold a combination of the four styles of leadership. The fact that I lean very heavily toward the (S3) style could at some point become a bad thing. In certain situations, I may need to venture from my pull strategy and adapt a push strategy. If the situation warrants a different method then I must be willing to come out of the comforts of my (S3) style to acclimate the correct style temporarily. Becoming too one dimensional could lead to bad leadership methods and potentially cause harm to the department or organization.

Reference


Obolensky, N. (2014). Complex adaptive leadership: Embracing paradox and uncertainty (2nd ed.). Gower.


Rath, T. & Conchie, B. (2008). Strengths based leadership. New York, NY: Gallup Press

No comments:

Post a Comment