Sunday, April 9, 2017

A634.8.3.RB-Gun Control : What is the answer- Trey Mcneil

Gun control has been a hot-button topic in our country for a lengthy period of time. Should private citizens have the right to have own a gun? If so, should there be regulations on what type of guns they should be allowed to own? Should the government just stay out of our personal business and let us live by the constitution? There are polar opposite views regarding this question and this topic would probably be one to stay from at your next dinner party if two opposing views are in attendance.

LaFollette (2007) stated that, though most people do not realize, there are many different views regarding gun control. Not all people solely support or adamantly oppose gun control. An individual could also hold an opinion that is a mixture of the two views. According to LaFollette (2007), a moving scale exists for both the degree of abolition and the degree of restriction an individual feels toward guns. Some people may feel there should be no restrictions and no abolition where others may feel that there should be moderate restrictions and moderate abolition.  My opinion lies in moderate abolition and moderate restrictions.

Growing up in Mississippi, I was exposed to guns at a very young age. Though I was never a good shot, my grandfather began teaching me to shoot while I was in elementary school. As a child, I had a very neutral feeling toward guns. I knew they were used for hunting and could be very dangerous, but we were taught gun safety, so I should just be careful. Two instances occurred that changed my view on gun control and the right to bear arms. The first event that began to shape my opinion occurred while I was in high school and the second event, which cemented my opinion, occurred last summer.

In April of 1999 when two students went into Columbine High School in Colorado killing 13 people and injuring much more, this event shocked everyone in the country and hit hard at my high school. These were kids our age and the lives of the individuals who were lucky enough to escape with their lives were changed forever. This event made me begin to think that some sort of restrictions should be placed on the guns that individuals are allowed to purchase. The suspects in the shooting obtained two semi-automatic weapons to assist in their plan. According to Obmascik, Robinson, and Olinger (2009), the weapons were purchased by one of the suspect’s girlfriends at The Tanner Gun Show. Why was this allowed? Why would an eighteen-year-old girl need two high powered weapons? In my opinion, there is no good reason for her to need two guns of that caliber.

I currently live in a small beach town in Florida that is about 50 miles from Orlando. After the events that occurred last June at Pulse nightclub that cost 49 men and women their lives, my disdain for high-powered weapons grew even stronger. This event rocked our community to its core. According to Daily and Harris (2016), the shooter purchased an assault rifle and Glock from his neighborhood gun shop, which is a federally licensed firearm dealer, on back to back days. The second purchase required the dealer to run the shooters name against the Terror Screening database, but unfortunately, the shooter’s name was removed in 2014, so the sales were approved. Once, again there was no reason for this individual to be able to walk into the local firearm dealer and buy two high-powered weapons within the same week.

I understand that motive, and possibly mental health, played a large role in these unthinkable scenarios and the individuals may have gone about their plan even without the weapons. But, I do not anyone would argue against the damage being limited if the assault weapons were not so readily available. Maybe I have a dislike for the system along with the weapons, but I believe that restrictions should exist when it comes to the firearms a private citizen should be allowed to own. Assault rifles and semi-automatic weapons should only belong to the military. The danger in citizens owning weapons of this caliber has repeatedly reared its ugly head.

Most people that stand behind the right to bear arms have two arguments including (a) the second amendment and (2) the fact that guns do not kill people- people do. I am one who would never want to change the Constitution. I wholeheartedly believe in the right to bear some arms, but also think that when our forefathers built this country they did not envision guns that could shoot hundreds of bullets in a matter of seconds. I once saw a parody poking fun of the second amendment and what our forefathers may have been thinking when it was created. It showed an individual dressed in colonial attire come into a crowded club with a gun from that time period. He then fires one shot and misses. When he begins to reload he is tackled to the ground and disarmed. I would argue that if the creators of the Constitution could have seen the future then they would have created boundaries to the second amendment. Also, when the second amendment was created, guns were much more needed. First, a fight for our independence was taking place in our country. Most men, and some children, were involved in the war so a gun was a priority. Also, hunting to survive was much more prevalent. Firearms were used as a survival tool in the late 1700’s.

I understand that a gun is not a living being and does not have a decision to be fired. As LaFollette (2007) stated, “No gun control advocate claims, hints, or suggests that guns are moral agents” (p. 183). It is understood that the gun is not the being that decides to create harm, but the harm could be limited if some guns were not available to citizens. The fact the guns are not moral agents does not take away from the fact that they are dangerous and certain guns should be restricted.

I make this argument not ‘come after all of the guns’, which is the response I have received from some individuals while having this discussion. I think guns used for personal protection and hunting are needed. I own a gun and have it in my closet. It is a single round shotgun and I own it solely for protection. The only function it serves is to give me and my girlfriend a better chance at survival if someone decides to break in our home. I do not want to abolish guns completely because I would lose my protection. I only argue that high-powered and automatic weapons serve no right being in the hands of private citizens. There is also no need for Kevlar piercing bullets. According to BBC (2015), over 50 US senators argued against a proposed ban on Kevlar piercing bullets citing it was an opposition to the second amendment. The ban was never put into place, so the bullets are still available in the US. The only function of a Kevlar piercing bullet is to kill the individual wearing the vest. I understand the bullets fall under the second amendment, but, I do not see how a person on either side of the debate can argue this scenario is ethical.

References

BBC. (2015). US agency drops efforts to ban armour-piercing bullets. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31827249

Daly, M., & Harris, S. (2016). How the Orlando Killer Omar Mateen got his guns. Retrieved from http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/13/how-the-orlando-killer-omar-mateen-got-his-guns.html

LaFollette, H. (2007). The Practice of Ethics. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing. 


Obmascik, M., Robinson, M., & Olinger, D. (1999). Oficials say girfreind bought guns. Retrieved from http://extras.denverpost.com/news/shot0427a.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment