Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A511.2.3.RB-Reflecting on Leadership Traits-Trey McNeil

The trait approach to leadership or “great man” approach concentrated on characteristics or qualities that make up a great leader (Northouse, 2016). There are certain traits that I possess that improve my ability to lead, but there are also several characteristics I have that hinder my ability to lead. First, I will discuss the qualities that are unfavorable to my leadership ability.

One characteristic that has held me back for as long as I can remember is self-doubt. Northouse (2016) defined self-confidence as the capability of being assured in one’s skills and abilities. Self-confidence is something that I do not possess. I always doubt myself when entering something new. When I started college, I was convinced that I would not be able to catch on to the material and would be forced to leave school. When I began my current position as an accountant, I believed that I would never grasp the new concepts and would end up getting fired. When I started my journey toward obtaining my MSLD degree in April, you guessed it; I was scared my writing was so poor that I would not make it out of MSLD 500. Even as I write this blog, I doubt myself a bit.

In all three examples, I was able to succeed, so I am not sure why I always doubt myself. When I face an anomaly at work, I will usually go to my supervisor with a half-hearted solution on how to fix the problem. Most of the time my manager will tell me that is a great solution, so why am I so self-confident about my thought process? I know that self-doubt is something that I must overcome to become an effective leader, and is something that I have worked on over the last couple of years. How can I lead a team if I do not believe in my abilities? Why would anyone follow a person who does not believe in themselves?

In my blog last week, I described how my preparation was a trait I possess that improves my leadership. While this is true, preparedness can also be a quality that hinders my ability to lead. I rely so much on preparedness that when something unplanned comes my way, I get flustered and bogged down. When I get flustered, I lose the ability to articulate my thoughts and it is very messy and unprofessional. I lack the capacity to improvise, and this causes the previously discussed self-doubt to creep in. According to Sabourin and Pratt (n.d.), improvisation in the business world is a great trait in dealing with unexpected challenges in the workplace. For me to be a good leader, I must learn how to adapt to situations when they do not go as planned.

A trait that I own that improves my ability to lead is integrity. Northouse (2016) described integrity as honesty and trustworthiness. I have mentioned in prior blogs that, in my opinion, people are the most important thing in an organization and life in general. I have a solid moral compass and believe that people deserve fair treatment. Mintz (2013) discussed a survey asking CFO’s what traits were most sought after when grooming a future leader. Integrity beat out interpersonal skills, initiative, motivation, and business knowledge as the number one skill needed. I believe that if my followers trust that I will be fair and honest with then, then they will also be trustworthy and honest with me. Trust must be a two-way street which will lead to a better relationship.

Another trait that improves my ability to lead is determination. Northouse (2016) defined determination as the drive to get the job done. I do not like to leave things unfinished and will work tirelessly to make sure work is complete. To complete all work by the deadline, I will stay late when necessary. I also take great pride and responsibility in my job, so I do not want to leave projects unfinished or incorrect. I believe this will trait can increase my ability to lead because my followers will witness that I will not give up and hand it over to someone else to complete. If my followers are able to feed off of my determination and persistence, then the team will be closer but also more successful.

In describing sociability, Northouse (2016) stated, “Social leaders have good interpersonal skills and create cooperative relationships with their followers” (p. 28). I am ambivalent towards the trait of sociability. I have always been able to establish collaborative relationships with all of my coworkers. I have a great working relationship with all of my current workers, and I believe that is grounded in the respect and integrity I mentioned earlier. The one area I fall short regarding sociability is strong interpersonal skills. As a Millennial, I tend to rely on social networking, texting, and emailing as my preferred forms of communication. To develop stronger interpersonal skills, I must break away from my reliability on computer-mediated communication and get back to the trend of face to face communication. To build a stronger connection to my followers and be considered sociable, I must find a way to strengthen my interpersonal skills.

For me to be the most effective leader that I can be, I must learn how to let go of the self-doubt and constant reliability on being prepared. These traits detract from my ability to lead. On the other hand, I must learn how to strengthen my integrity, determination, persistence, responsibility, and sociability. If I can find the appropriate mesh between the skills that hinder my leadership ability and the skills that increase my leadership ability, then my followers will be following a much more efficient leader.

References

Mintz, S. (2013). Integrity: The most important trait of leadership. Retrieved from http://www.workplaceethicsadvice.com/2013/02/integrity-the-most-important-trait-of-leadership-.html

Northouse, P.G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and practice (7th ed). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage


Sabourin, R, & Pratt, R., (n.d). Attentional and interpersonal characteristics of improvisation professionals vs. business executives: What executives can learn from improvisation professionals. Retrieved from http://www.anderson-sabourin.com/Characteristics_of_Improv_Professionals_vs__Executives_Biz_Improv_v2.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment