Monday, July 18, 2016

A511.3.3.RB-Directive and Supportive Behaviors- Trey McNeil

This week I had the opportunity to learn about Rotter’s Locus of Control scale test. A follower’s desire for control is a factor in path-goal theory. The internal and external dimensions are the two divisions of the desire or locus of control. Northouse (2016) stated that followers who possess an internal locus of control believe that they are in charge of the events that happen in their life, where followers with an external locus of control believe the opposite. These individuals believe that fate and chance are the major factors determining what happens in their life.

Rotter (1966) found that an event perceived as a reward to one individual could be seen differently by other people. One factor of a person’s reaction is the degree to which they think their behavior defined the reward’s basis compared to the level that it was an outside force or fate (Rotter, 1966). This thought process led to Rotter developing the Locus of Control test to determine if a person’s control is internal or external.

I had the opportunity to take the test this week, and as I was reading the questions, I had an idea where I would rank. After completing the test, my suspicions were correct as I scored an internal locus of control. I have always had the mind-frame that I can control most things in my life. There have been some cases that were just bad luck or fate, but those were rare occasions. I have never lived by the motto “If it happens, it happens.” If I want something to happen in my life, I do whatever I can to put myself in the best position I can to succeed.

In reflecting if this style of control affects my leadership behavior and my responses to others leadership behavior, I would have to say it does have an effect. Recently, an individual in another department caused a report that was due to the state to be late. When I went to talk to this person, the excuses started to flow. My co-worker said they were out of the office for a couple of days before the report was due. Then when they returned there was an emergency that came up. After that, the individual had computer problems that hindered the report’s completion. On the day the report was to be e-mailed to the state, I believe there was a sick family member. My co-worker had an external locus of control and felt that all of these unfortunate things just happened, which caused the report to be late.

I have written many times about my obsessiveness with preparation and fear of failure. In this instance, I do not believe it was a series of unfortunate events that led to the report being e-mailed to the state a day late. In my opinion, the tardiness was caused by lack of preparation. The report is due each year around the same time, so the due date was a shock to nobody involved in the process. Having an internal locus of control, I would have done my portion of the report before going on vacation, or stayed late one night after getting back from vacation. Fortunately, the report was accepted a day late without penalty. I am not the leader or supervisor of this individual, but I did have a chat with them about why we have to stick to deadlines and prepare for all events that may affect our work.

After determining that I have an internal locus of control, I thought about how it affects my responses to others leadership behaviors. The state of Florida recently changed the process of how they award funds to the twenty-seven state colleges. The process now involves examining criteria from previous years, where the college did not perform at a high level. The new measures caused the college to be awarded less money from the state. The conversations around the college (mostly from the upper-level management) revolved around how unfair it was that the state looked at criteria from past years where our performance was not great. 

In my opinion, all the colleges were judged on the same period, so we should admit that we did not perform well and vow to correct our performance. I never agreed with the notion that fate or luck played a role in the college losing funding. We were not awarded our full amount by the state because we did not do our collective job as a college. The employees at the school took the unsatisfactory performance to heart and increased production in the judged areas. This year we moved up in the rankings and were rewarded more money due to our improved performance.

As long as I can remember, I have always felt that I had control over most things that happen in my life. After taking the Locus of Control test, I realize that I have an internal basis of control. Observing how this control affects my professional and personal behavior moving forward will be interesting.

References

Northouse, P.G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and practice (7th ed). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage

Rotter, J. B. (1966) Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement. Psychological Monographs: General and Applied, 80, 1-28.

No comments:

Post a Comment