Thursday, November 17, 2016

A633.1.2.RB-Leadership Gap

Growing up, I had two different ideas about leadership. My first idea centered on my parents, teachers, principals, grandparents, and even characters like Papa Smurf or Master Splinter from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I believed a leader was an individual who would guide a person into doing great things. They were there to “lead” by example and direct someone to reach a goal, whether it be learning to ride a bike, drive, grasping algebra and geometry, or even fighting the foot clan and Shredder. I also had another vision of a leader that stuck with me well into my twenties. This vision was the thought process Obolensky (2014) warned about. The assumption that leaders must be “gifted, charismatic, articulate, ambitious, knowledgeable and well-educated” (p. 18). As a child, I assumed that my parents’ bosses were leaders because they held the title of supervisor or manager. When I got my first job after college, I was under the impression that my manager was a leader because of their title. As I spent more time in the working world, I began to realize that the title did not make a leader. A leader is defined by the actions of the individual.

My attitude on leadership began to change drastically when I started the MSLD program. My thought process started to shift from the leaders are the individuals who are in charge to the leaders who are the individuals who take charge. Recently, my accounting duties were altered and I now report to a new supervisor. As I began my new job, I believed that my new supervisor would lead and teach how to be successful in my new position. But, I was wrong. The individual who has been most helpful is my fellow co-worker. They have been there to teach and guide me and help me grasp the new information.

I have never considered myself as a leader. I never believed that I had the qualities or skills to be a leader, but the leadership program has helped me see that I am a leader in my job. One of my responsibilities is to allocate funds for student scholarships. Every year I allocate and award approximately one million dollars in student scholarships. Though I am in the background and not visible with my cape, I still believe I help lead these students. I help guide them to be successful which, in my opinion, is leadership at its core.

The truth is that the attitude held by the younger generation (Gen Z) compared to the older generations (Traditionalist or Baby Boomers) toward authority and leadership has drastically changed. My grandparents are Traditionalist. Both of my grandfathers fought in the Korean War. They were raised by their parents to be respectful to everyone. The lessons their parents and the military taught them created individuals who had respect for leadership and authority. Unfortunately, they had the belief that leaders were the best of the best and were always right. I do not believe they would ever question leadership or authority. 

In regards to their beliefs on leadership and authority, my parents are complete opposites. Over the last several classes, I have had conversations with my mom about the concepts I have been fortunate enough to learn. I have discovered that she shares the views of my grandparents. She does not like to question leadership and authority and does so very rarely. My dad, on the other hand, finds nothing wrong with questioning leadership or authority if he is steadfast in his beliefs about the correct things to do. He has a healthy respect for leadership and authority but also likes to voice his opinion every now and then. Though I am a millennial, I do not question authority often. My beliefs about authority and leadership have shifted recently, so I do find it myself occasionally voicing my opinion when I believe I know the correct answer or process.

If we fast forward to the younger generation, the attitude toward leadership and authority is much different. The attitude is almost one of disrespect and disdain. At some point, leaders have begun to be viewed as non-authoritative. But how did this happen? In my opinion, there are two reasons for this alternative view on authority- pop culture and technology/knowledge. Pop culture today is full of disrespect and lack of manners. Music videos and popular music seem to degrade women and that spills over to how the younger generation feels about authority. I recently found myself watching an episode of Scared Straight. In the clip, I saw a young girl with behavioral problems being scorned by an officer and she was laughing at everything the officer said. As a teenager, my authority consisted of my parents, police officers, and teachers/principals. If some kids cannot respect police officers, how will they ever respect teachers or supervisors?

Another reason I believe the younger generation views authority and leadership differently is because of the accelerated pace of technology and knowledge. Obolensky (2014) discusses the rapid growth of knowledge in the 20th century. Everyone these days has access to information at the touch of a button. The instant technology and knowledge has created a generation that does not believe leadership is as “all knowing” as once perceived, which may not be a bad thing if combined with the respectful leadership view of the past generations. Millennials and Gen Z have also seen their parents pushed out of jobs after giving many years to the company just because someone younger could be hired. The fact that their parents got pushed out causes a lack of trust in leadership and authority.

Though our modern technology has created a world filled with information about leadership, a gap still exists in the quality of our leaders. Why would a gap exist given the plethora of information available? One reason is because most businesses are out for the revenue and not the employee. This mind frame could lead to a lack of trust in the workplace. In a 2014 TED video entitled Why good leaders make us feel safe, Simon Sinek discussed the topic of trust in the workplace. Sinek (2014) discussed how leaders should sacrifice the results for the people to create the largest return. I agree with Sinek (2014) if companies begin to care more about the people and not the revenue, a trust will be renewed and both the organization and leader/follower relationship will be the beneficiary.

Also, leaders need to understand that they do not know everything about the job. Today I was called into the office of one of my managers. He asked me to show him how to run a report in the accounting system. This act was a breath of fresh air and more leaders should understand that the employees sometimes have the correct answers.

References

Obolensky, N. (2014). Complex adaptive leadership: Embracing paradox and uncertainty (2nd ed.). Gower.

Sinek, S. (2014). Why good leaders make you feel safe [TEDGlobal]. Retrieved from: https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_why_good_leaders_make_you_feel_safe?language=en

No comments:

Post a Comment