Saturday, March 25, 2017

A634.6.3.RB-What are Virtues?- Trey McNeil

As a child there were times when I was asked to act morally, ethically, or virtuous. Not knowing exactly what my parents, grandparents, or other parental figure meant, I decided they must mean act in a way in which I believed was right. I was correct, well; at least I was not incorrect. Until I began this class, I believed that the three were intertwined together and shared a common definition. But, once again, that is not the case. They are similar but not the same. So, what are virtues? That answer depends on who you ask. According to virtues for life (n.d.), a virtue is the moral quality of a person or the acts that make a person moral (kindness, honesty, etc.). According to Aristotle, virtue is doing the proper action, doing it routinely, enjoying acting virtuously, and knowing that it is virtuous and why it is virtuous (LaFollette, 2007). Benjamin Franklin listed thirteen virtues in which he tried to live his life. The virtues included temperance, silence, order, resolution, frugality, industry, sincerity, justice, moderation, cleanliness, tranquility, chastity, and humility (Ben’s virtues, n.d.). I would like to reflect on three of Franklin’s virtues and discuss how I could use them in my daily life.

I was fortunate enough to take a virtue quiz this week that informed me how I measure up to Ben Franklin’s virtues. The virtue that was singled out due to my answers was tranquility. According to Franklin tranquility is defined as “be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable” (Ben’s virtues, n.d., n.p.). Or in Lehman’s terms- do not sweat the small stuff. The quiz told me to think about the more important things in my life and worry less about the smaller annoyances. I am a preparer and a self-diagnosed worrier, so this is advice that I should heed. While in school, I usually like to plan out my weeks and determine which days I will work on certain assignments. As we all know life tends to get in the way occasionally and plans change. Sometimes this frustrates me and I get in my head about everything not being on track. If I could step back and see it differently, I could realize that it is not a big deal in the long run. I am the type of person that cannot relax until the dishes are put away or will not sit down to take a rest until whatever I am working on is finished.  I need to take Ben’s advice and not sweat the small stuff. The dishes will still be there in the morning and the schoolwork can be worked on another day. Of all the virtues, this is the one I need to work on the most and will try to practice this in the future.

The next virtue I would like to discuss is sincerity.  Franklin defined sincerity as “Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and if you speak, speak accordingly” (Ben’s virtues, n.d., n.p.). This is a virtue I try to follow but occasionally fail. I will argue that most of our society also fails in this virtue. With the development of smartphones and other technology, our opinions are shared with more people than they were in the past. Twenty-five years ago, the only way to publically deceit someone was to call them out while emceeing the local bingo night or prom dance, or commandeering the local town hall meeting to talk badly about the local florist. With the development of Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and any other social media site used today, your opinion is readily available and to hundreds maybe even thousands of people.  

One of my girlfriend’s favorite movies is Mean Girls and I have seen it several times while she was watching it. There is a line in the movie where one of the stars mentions the phrase ‘word vomit.’ She understands that what she is saying is insincere, harmful, and unappropriated but is not able to stop herself from speaking. Just because you think it does not mean it should be vocalized, especially if the message is harmful or insincere. As LaFollette (2007) warned, gossip should be considered immoral.

 As I have previously mentioned, I try to treat everyone with respect, but I also ask for it to be reciprocated. When trust and respect are not reciprocated, I sometimes have thoughts that are not sincere. In the future, I must remember the virtue of sincerity and not only make sure the harmful thought remained unsaid but also try to reverse them. 

The final virtue I would like to discuss is industry.  Franklin defined industry as “Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions” (Ben’s virtues, n.d., n.p.). This definition reminds me of the old saying that idle hands are the devil’s workshop. I believe Ben is suggesting that useful work should be done at all times.

As I previously mentioned I am a preparer. I would also consider myself a pretty hard worker. While at work, I am very orderly. I try not to waste any time in getting my tasks completed. I am the same way around the house. I spend a decent amount of time working around the yard or the house. I value hard work and not wasting time as much as anyone but if the Shining taught us anything, unnecessary actions can also be useful. Jack Nicholson ignored Franklin’s virtue in continuously typing ‘all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.’ I would argue that unnecessary actions are not only nice but are sometimes needed. A little rest and relaxation never hurt anyone.

Over the last six months, I have been transferred to a new position twice. I was just getting my feet wet with the (old) new position when I was told recently that I will be moving to another position. I will begin learning new tasks and regulations that must be adhered to. This time of the year also consists of not only the budget cycle but on-site audit fieldwork. I am also in graduate school pursuing my Masters in Leadership. So, my days over the last few months have consisted of working long hours learning new information at work, coming home and learning new information while doing my schoolwork, rinse, wash, and repeat.  I have been very busy over the last couple of months. So, recently I have found myself spending my downtime enthralled in, as Franklin put it, “unnecessary actions” (Ben’s virtues, n.d., n.p.). I have found myself watching my favorite movie, reading, or having a Netflix binge of my favorite shows. Sometimes wasting time and being employed in an action that is not useful is a great way to reset.

All of Franklin’s virtues seem to be directed at increasing the morality of humans. In a perfect world, we would all abide by his virtues. But this is not a perfect world. The best we can hope for it to be mindful of the virtues and try to abide by them in order to create a world of harmony.

References

Ben's 13 Virtues. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/benfranklin/pop_virtues_list.html

LaFollette, H. (2007). The Practice of Ethics. Malden, MA; Blackwell


Virtues for life. (n.d.). What are virtues? Retrieved from http://www.virtuesforlife.com/what-are-virtues/

No comments:

Post a Comment