Saturday, May 13, 2017

A632.3.4.RB-Reflections on decision making- Trey McNeil

This week I had the opportunity to read about frame blindness and framing traps. While reading about frame blindness my first thought was the blind spots that occur while driving a car or a boat. When I was a kid my dad had a boat and one day he was teaching me to drive the boat. He told me how to steer and how to the throttle the boat, but did not think about the blind spots that could result from my height. I thought I was doing great when all of the sudden he jumped over and frantically turned the wheel. My blind spot almost caused me to hit a skier that was waiting for their boat to come back and get them. The propeller from our boat destroyed their ski rope, but the situation could have been much worse. Both my father and I learned a very valuable lesson that afternoon about blind spots and the poor decisions that can result when they are ignored.

When I think of framing traps I picture Tom trying to catch Jerry. He always came up with very elaborate traps but was rarely able to catch Jerry. The reason that Jerry remained unscathed the majority of the time was because he was prepared for the traps. But what happened when Jerry made a mistake or became overconfident? Tom would usually catch him and think that he had his next dinner. Though this example is a cartoon, framing traps and frame blindness can also occur in our everyday decision-making. Most people do not realize that their decisions and views can be distorted or oversimplified by framing traps (Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther, 2001). Just like when we drive a car or boat, we must learn to check our blind spots when making decisions. Hoch, Kunruether, & Gunther (2001) offered three traps that I have had the misfortune of falling into and must now be on the lookout for in overconfidence, frame blindness, and recognition of your key assumptions.

Overconfidence is one trap that I fall into quite often. My overconfidence comes in many forms whether it be thinking I can go for a run when it has been six months since my last run, thinking I know where I am going because I have been there before, or thinking I can assemble the new desk in an hour because ‘that is what the instructions say’ (which I usually am still trying to get it together a couple of hours later). According to Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther (2001), “most of us suffer from a well-documented tendency to overestimate what we know, which contributes to our tendency to overvalue the relevance of our own frames and undervalue the relevance of others” (p. 140).  Confidence is a great trait to possess but overconfidence can be harmful. According to Dr. Joyce Ehringer, “larger amounts of overconfidence can lead people to make bad decisions and to miss out on opportunities to learn” (Berry, 2016, para. 11). I recall one incident in particular where my overconfidence led to a poor decision.

When I was in college, I had a friend who was going to present a guest sermon at one of the local churches. My roommates and I were going to show our support, so we all piled in the car and headed off to the church. One of my roommates had asked me several times if I knew where the church was located as he wanted to get directions. I was confident that I knew exactly where the church was because I drove by it occasionally. With a smile on my face, I took us directly to the church and we arrived a couple of minutes early. Well… at least I got us to a church. But, unfortunately, it was not the right church. Because this was before the advent of MapQuest or Siri, we frantically tried to find the correct church and did eventually but arrived late. We missed his sermon and I felt really bad about the whole situation. The incident even got me a nickname that stuck for the next couple of years…Magellan.

So, could I have framed this situation differently? Yes! I could have taken my roommate’s advice and got directions before Sunday morning. I could have tried to find the place on Saturday to make sure I knew its location. This example taught me a couple of life lessons. The first lesson was that I should make it a point to be prepared. I also learned that overconfidence can be risky in that it caused us to miss an event.

Frame blindness is also an action I occasionally commit leading to poor decisions. Frames are important because they allow us to streamline our attention to what we believe is most relevant and help us make decisions quickly, but there are instances when you can make decisions based on the wrong frame and be oblivious to this fact (Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther, 2001). I made this mistake in dealing with my pets and it opened my eyes to my actions.

My family was a dog family, so I was never around cats growing up. Not long after my girlfriend and I moved in together her boss was going to take their cat to a shelter as they could no longer keep her because they found out one of the kids were allergic. She had been declawed, so making her an outside cat was out of the question and would have been inhumane. We talked it over and decided it would be best to take her. My girlfriend had cats as a child so they began to bond very quickly. I did not have as much luck bonding with her in the beginning. I was committing frame blindness and treating her like I treated my dogs growing up. It took a while for the lightbulb to go off and for me realize that cats and dogs respond differently to similar behaviors. Cats have a tendency to scream in the middle of the night. Cats walk on the kitchen counters no many how many times you tell them not to. They even like to be petted differently than dogs. So, I had to adjust my thought process and decision-making once I realized that she does not like to be treated like a dog. We have now had the cat for over eleven years and the cat and I have had the opportunity to bond.

The cat and dog scenario made me begin to think about people in general. If I was blind in how I treated my pets am committing the same mistake with people? There are many different Myers-Briggs personality types and all people do not react in the same way to the same scenario. I should be more careful and make sure I am not blindly treating people exactly the same in the decisions I make.

In describing the elements of critical thinking Nosich (2012) stated that assumptions were everything that is taken for granted as you think about a subject. One technique to avoiding frame blindness is to recognize our key assumptions. There were two recent situations where I did not bring my assumptions to the surface creating a poor decision (Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther, 2001).

I have previously mentioned that my organization recently transitioned to a new computer system. During the transition, I relied on my assumptions and did not question if some of the procedures would be altered. When it was time to bill scholarships, I went through the normal routine of building the spreadsheet and creating the journal entry for the encumbrances. When I sent the journal entry to my supervisor for approval, she questioned why I went through the process of the old billing technique when the procedure was going to change. Gilbert (2005) warned that decisions based on the past could cause mistakes. I did make a poor decision by acting on my assumptions. I should have questioned my supervisor about the new procedure because my actions created wasted time.

Last month my assumptions led me to another poor decision. The Foundation recently hired a new Executive Vice President (EVP) and I did not communicate with her about the reports that she would like to present at the Board meeting. I operated under the assumption that she would like to present the same types of financial reports that we presented under the previous EVP, but that was not the case. My decision based on assumptions caused extra work and wasted time.

Through this exercise, I learned that even though I claim to be prepared, I have the propensity to make hasty decisions based on frame blindness. I must slow down my decision-making process and watch out for the framing traps that are associated with every decision. In retrospect, the traps were not mice traps but more like bear sized traps that should have been evident. I must continue to be cognizant of my frame blindness while keeping my confidence at a healthy level and recognizing my key assumptions.

References


Gilbert, D. (2005). Dan Gilbert: Why we make bad decisions [video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_researches_happiness

Hoch, S., Kunreuther, H., & Gunther, R. (2001). Wharton on making decisions. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Nosich, G. M. (2012). Learning to think things through: a guide to critical thinking across the curriculum (4th ed). Boston, MA: Pearson


No comments:

Post a Comment