Monday, September 12, 2016

A520.6.3.RB-Conflict Resolution-Trey McNeil

Conflict is a factor of life that we all must occasionally face. Friends, siblings, neighbors, co-workers and even spouses all have conflicting views on certain subjects that at any time could raise its weary head. This week I pondered situations I have been in regarding conflict and how these issues were resolved. I thought about several professional situations but elected to write about a personal situation which took place last Thanksgiving break. According to Whetten and Cameron (2016), this conflict was considered a people-focused conflict and could lead to feelings of resentment.

 First, let me give you a little back story about the situation. I am from Mississippi but now live in Florida. Every year I try to go home to see my family for Thanksgiving. Last year the plan was to travel home the Tuesday before Thanksgiving to visit family. A week before Thanksgiving, I received a call from my girlfriend’s father saying that he had two tickets to the Ole Miss game taking place the Saturday before Thanksgiving (or a couple of days from the call). Knowing that we would not be in town until after the game, I politely declined. As I began to think more about the situation, I realized I wanted to go to the game badly. Free tickets to an Ole Miss- LSU game are rare.  

The main reason we were not going to travel to Mississippi until the Monday or Tuesday before Thanksgiving was because my girlfriend was in graduate school at the time and assignments were due on Sunday. I am not a person that usually does things for me. I always feel bad doing things that I consider selfish. I would much rather do things for other people, but I had a strong desire to attend the game, so I spoke to my girlfriend about the situation. Through effective communication, we were able to come up with a game plan to allow her to finish her schoolwork in time for me to make the game. Everything is going great! I get to see the game. She gets all of her school work finished, and we get a couple of extra days in Mississippi! But, unbeknownst to me, a conflict was on the horizon.

I called my mom to tell her the news that plans had changed and that we would be in town Friday afternoon instead of Tuesday afternoon. She was ecstatic as she informed me that Thanksgiving lunch was scheduled to be held at my grandparent’ house that Saturday, so the timing could not be better. Apparently, there was a lack of communication, because I was under the impression that dinner would be on Thanksgiving Day as always. But this year was an anomaly because my grandparents would be out of town the week of Thanksgiving.  I had to have the difficult conversation and inform her that I was coming home early to attend a football game and could not make the scheduled lunch.  This conflict was the first, but unfortunately not the only conflict that would occur during the trip.

According to Brown (2011), the compromising style to conflict resolution involves a mix of concern for self and concern for others where a compromise between the conflicting parties is sought. Ury (2010) described that a conflict should be addressed by “going to the balcony” (n.p.). In this metaphor, the balcony resembles a place of perspective or a place to oversee the conflict. Whetten and Cameron (2016) suggested that the parties should invent options for mutual gains.  As I was on the phone with my mom, I immediately began trying to reach a compromising solution. I told her that we would be driving all day, but I would hate to miss my grandparents, so a small dinner at her house would be ideal. We worked out a plan that we would come by our way through town for a dinner on Friday night. Great! Conflict resolved with effective communication, and now I get to spend some time with my grandparents. Awesome! Only, the conflict was not resolved and in fact just beginning.

During the drive that Friday morning, I received a call from my mom saying she had been on the phone all morning with her family and the Thanksgiving lunch scheduled for Saturday afternoon was now a Thanksgiving dinner scheduled for later that night. I understand that she believed she was doing something nice for my girlfriend and me so we could see the family, but from my perspective, there were several issues with the new plan. First, by this point, we had been awake over twenty-four hours and still had several hours of driving until we got home. Also, my grandparent’s house was an additional three-hour round trip. Given the amount of time we had been awake and additional driving, I knew we would be zombies if we tried to make the dinner, which was the reasoning for me requesting a small dinner at her house. I had to tell her that it would not be possible for us to make it and it was not taken well at all.

There were several attempts at negotiations including her asking if I would miss the game if she moved it back to Saturday (which I politely declined), and me asking to go back to the previously agreed plan of meeting at her house (which she politely declined since many other family members changed their plans). From my family’s perspective, I was the initiator of this conflict. I was the individual refusing to alter my plans for the family. In my perspective, I was the responder, and my mom was the initiator. This conflict was created by adjusting the plans without communication.  In the end, we agreed to disagree, and I missed the Thanksgiving dinner. Unfortunately, we were not able to reach a conflict resolution before the dinner but were eventually able to have a positive discussion.

We met later in the week and discussed communication and how to better our interactions. We had a long chat about why I felt like I was put into a difficult situation when asked to drive an additional three hours after driving all day. The conversation ended with no hard feelings and a stronger bond of communication. I was also able to see several of my aunts and uncles before I returned home and spent some time with my grandparents at Christmas. We usually do not head home on both Holidays but did last year. Though this conflict was resolved between my mother and me, it did open up another conflict that I did not know existed among other family members.  Whetten and Cameron (2016) stated that interpersonal relationships could have lingering effects due to personal disputes, and unfortunately, the effects of this situation still exist, but that is a different blog for a different day.

So, what could I have done differently to eliminate this conflict? Whetten and Cameron (2016) argued that one solution to conflict resolution is to “persist until understood” (p. 322). I should have made an attempt to make my side of the agreement clearer. Maybe I was not adamant about why I wanted to have dinner at her house or at least in town. Did she not understand that I did desire to see my grandparents but did not want to drive an additional one hundred and fifty miles?   If I were more persistent with my desires, maybe the plans would have never been altered, and the conflict could have been avoided.

Whetten and Cameron (2016) also discussed encouraging a two-way discussion where both parties express opinions and ask questions as a form of conflict resolution. Maybe if we had encouraged more of a two-way discussion, then the conflict could have been avoided. As I think back to the first conversation, she did not ask questions about why I felt the way I did. Because I did not encourage a two-way discussion, miscommunication, and a lingering conflict was created.

Though this conflict was a personal and not a professional conflict, it did teach me the proper process for handling a professional conflict. I learned that effective communication could help to avoid a conflict. Both parties need to clearly define their feelings regarding a situation to avoid conflict. This conflict also taught me to “go to the balcony” (Ury, 2010, n.p.) and attempt to find a compromising response to the conflict.

References

Brown, D. (2011). An experiential approach to organizational development (8th ed.).  Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall

Ury, W. (2010). The walk from “no” to “yes”[TEDGlobal]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/william_ury


Whetten, D. & Cameron, K. (2016). Developing management skills (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall/Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment