Monday, September 19, 2016

A520.7.3.RB- An empowerment example- Trey McNeil

In this blog, I would like to discuss the tale of two directors. In my current position, I have had two directors. One was overbearing, micro-managing, and closed. The other is laid back, and communicative. One director did not make me feel confident or allow me any autonomy, while the other director developed trust and provided support. The two directors were night vs. day, cold vs. hot, and black vs. white, but the glaring difference lied in empowerment. One director allowed me to feel a sense of empowerment, where the other director attempted to deny empowerment.

When I was first hired in my current position, I reported to the former Controller. Working for this individual taught me many life lessons, but empowerment was not one of them. Some of her leadership methods were not conducive to creating a sense of empowerment. Whetten and Cameron (2016) described self- efficacy as the feeling of competency that an individual can complete a task successfully. Self-efficacy is not a trait that I developed while reporting to my former director. She had the propensity to find something wrong in everything I gave her to review. Most of the things were small such as her not agreeing with the format of a spreadsheet or the wording of an email, but it began to wear on my confidence. She also wanted all of my work to go through her first, so I never felt like I was able to develop self-efficacy. In fact, the leadership methods caused me to develop the unfortunate trait of learned helplessness which is the opposite direction from empowerment.

My former director also did not allow for much autonomy. She wanted things done in a particular order and in a particular way which did not leave much room for personal choices in designing my tasks. She also had the habit of taking the spotlight away from me and shining it on herself. Whetten and Cameron (2016) stated that a method of creating empowerment is through personal consequence. “Empowered people have a sense that when they act, they can produce a result” (Whetten and Cameron, 2016, 370). I never felt like my actions produced any results. One of the first times I put together the Board reports; I had just finished and had given them to my director to review. Within about fifteen minutes, the former VP of Finance came into the suite to determine the status of the reports. My director proceeded to explain how she had been working on them all day and was just finishing up. From that point on, I did not feel like my work had a purpose. I do not actively seek recognition, but the fact that my work was claimed by my director was extremely demotivating.

My former director also never took the time to develop a trusting relationship with not only me but the other accountants in the department. Since she did not trust us, the lack of trust was reciprocated throughout the department creating a lack of communication and a common goal. The former Controller was let go about four years ago due to conflicts with the new VP of Finance. My new supervisor was the budget director, and it didn’t take me long to realize that this would be a totally different leader/follower relationship.

The first thing I noticed was that my new director was much more open with providing information. According to Whetten and Cameron (2016), information is a crucial part of leadership and providing followers with more as opposed to less information creates a sense of empowerment. My director would give me updates regarding what happened in the Board Meetings, the direct support meetings, and changes taking place at the college. Receiving information was a new concept for me and began to create a sense of empowerment.

My new director quickly developed a clear goal for the accounting of the Foundation. We were able to get on the same page regarding the budget process, the investment allocation process, and how the board reports were to be put together. I felt empowered having a say in what processes would be used. It was a new feeling for me and began to increase empowerment.  Whetten and Cameron (2016) described the five levels of followership. With my previous director, I fell into the ask what to do before acting stage due to the learned helplessness her leadership methods created. The leadership methods of my new director allowed me to increase my level of followership. I was now able to initiate action and report only when necessary, and it felt great.

I recall an instance where I felt empowered to accomplish a task, which was the first audit with my new supervisor. The transition to my new director took place at the beginning of audit preparation. Once everyone was settled in, I went to her and asked the first task in beginning audit preparation. She looked at me like I had four heads and asked why I was coming to her asking questions about the audit. I then explained to her that the previous management assigned me tasks to do until the audit book was complete. She got up from her desk, grabbed the audit book from the previous year, handed it to me, and said, “I trust you do put together the book. Take a look at last year and run the same reports for this year. I will be here if you have any questions.”  I was not only taken aback but floored. What was going on?

Whetten and Cameron (2016) listed the five dimensions of empowerment as self-efficacy, self- determination, personal consequence, meaning, and trust. When my director gave me the authority to put together the audit, all five of the dimensions of empowerment were affected. I began to develop a sense of self-efficacy or competence to perform a task successfully. I also now had a sense of autonomy. I had the power to work on the audit that way I wanted to. I did not have to do things in a particular order because of the preference of my supervisor. I also began to develop a sense of personal consequence in believing that my work could produce a result. I began to believe that my work had meaning now. I was working toward putting the audit paperwork together on my own. I was no longer tasked with trivial things. The most important thing my supervisor accomplished by allowing me to work on the audit was to develop a sense a trust. I immediately saw that she trusted me and that trust was reciprocated. We still have a very trusting and open bond.

The final result was a clean audit with no audit remarks. Throughout the process, I had to go to my supervisor for advice on a couple of issues because the information was never shared by the previous manager. Overall, I completed the majority of the audit without assistance which caused my confidence to grow and allowed me to develop a sense of empowerment.

This example offered several lessons that I could apply to my followers. The first being trust and communication. I have stated in several blogs that communication is one of the most important things a leader must practice to be successful. Open communication creates trust which in turn creates a sense of empowerment.  Support is another critical factor in creating empowerment. A leader who establishes support with their followers creates a sense of empowerment and empowered workers tend to be more communicative and productive. So, Why not try to create empowerment as a leader?

Reference


Whetten, D. & Cameron, K. (2016). Developing management skills (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall/Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment