Thursday, September 29, 2016

A520.8.3.RB-Team Roles

I, like most of us, have participated in many teams. Growing up, I was on sports teams. In high school and college, I was divided into many different teams for group work. There have been times as a professional that I have been asked to be a part of a team to solve a problem or accomplish a goal. I have even been part of a team to help clean up an apartment that was damaged by a fire. Before this week’s readings, I never gave much thought about the different roles that members of a team could play. Many of the sports teams I was on had a leader, either the coach or the best player, and the rest of the team worked to help the team win. The school assignments also consisted of a leader and the rest of the team trying to finish the assignment. I never considered that the other members of the team were performing a role that was just more than helping accomplish the goal or mission.

This week I learned that team members could perform task-facilitating roles or relationship-building roles. According to Whetten and Cameron (2016), task-facilitating roles help a team accomplish the goal or objective. When I thought of teams, I pictured the followers all being task related. What can we do to help the team win, get the assignment turned in, or accomplish a professional task? But, team members can also be a relationship builder. According to Brown (2011), relationship builders “help the group grow and improve its members’ interpersonal relationships” (p. 201). As I learned about the two roles of team members, I began to ponder which role I usually chose.

I generally lean toward task-based roles, but occasionally act in a relationship-building role regarding team activities. I have mentioned in several posts that I am an achiever and a preparer. These two qualities can be extreme at times, so I must be aware of my actions while in a team setting. I am the type of person who likes to work hard on projects to make sure they are correctly completed in the allotted time. Whetten and Cameron (2016) mentioned that direction giving or trying to clarify goals or missions is a task-facilitating action. I have never been comfortable with giving directions. I have always seen myself as the follower in team situations. But, I do possess many of the qualities of task-facilitating roles.

Brown (2011) stated that elaborating is a function of task-facilitating roles. Though I do not usually have the initial plan of action, I find myself elaborating or building on the ideas expressed by the other team members. Whetten and Cameron (2016) stated that monitoring and process analyzing are both task-facilitating roles. Monitoring involves progress reports and helping to maintain accountability for the group, where process analyzing involves evaluating processes and procedures to help improve efficiency. Recently, I completed my first team assignment as a graduate student and offered both monitoring and process analyzing to the group.

Though the team worked together perfectly and turned in the assignment before the due date, I sent several emails asking for opinions and ideas about the steps needed to complete the assignment. The achiever and preparer took over to help keep the group on track. I recently had the opportunity to take a management assessment test offered by NextSteps Research. The survey showed that I was an introverted logistical leader and I feel I am the same type of teammate. According to the results, I am concerned with meeting schedules while completing tasks, which is in line with process analyzing and monitoring.

Though the majority of my actions lean toward task-facilitating roles, I also work to improve the team cohesion and collaboration. Though I know conflict and tension can be pros in a group or team setting, I do not work well in tension-filled situations. I once took a survey that declared one of my four leading styles to be leading with harmony. According to Rath and Conchie (2008), “people strong in the harmony theme look for consensus. They don’t enjoy conflict; rather they seek areas of agreement” (p. 175).

Whetten and Cameron (2012) stated that energizing is another action of a relationship-building team member. I noticed that I do try to make other team members feel like their comments are helpful. I do not like when others feel like their thoughts are not heard or appreciated.

In a team environment, I believe I am more task driven because I like to make sure assignments or goals are reached, but if the team becomes too conflicted, the harmonizer inside me must make things kosher before finishing the tasks.

References

Brown, D. R. (2011). An experiential approach to organization development (8th ed.). Boston: Prentice Hall.

Rath, T. & Conchie, B. (2008). Strengths based leadership. New York, NY: Gallup Press.


Whetten, D. & Cameron, K. (2016). Developing management skills (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall/Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment