Saturday, June 10, 2017

A632.7.3.RB- Collaborative Decision-making- Trey McNeil

Collaboration can be a critical part of decision-making and conflict resolution. How can two parties make an informed decision or reach a resolution to an ongoing conflict if they do not work together to solve the problem? Huesbsch (n.d.) stated that collaboration can lead to respect between co-workers as they go through the process of creative problem-solving. There have been times where I have successfully used collaboration to solve a conflict or make a good decision. There have also been times where I have failed to collaborate with other stakeholders leading to unsuccessful conflict resolution and poor decisions. There have been several instances that have occurred at work over the last several months.

Before I get into the particular decisions and conflicts, I first have to give you a little background on several changes that have occurred over the last several months. Last September I was told that there would be some lateral movement in the department and I have been chosen as one of the individuals that will be given new duties. The finance department of the college at which I am employed oversees the accounting of many different areas including cash management, the Foundation, local TV station of the college, grants, budget, and accounts payable. I had worked in many different areas including budget and the TV station but had been the accountant for the Foundation for the last six years. I was informed that I would now be transferred to cash management. The position of Foundation accountant would now be combined with the budget department and the accountant working for budget would now also be handling the Foundation. Is your head spinning yet? I know mine has been for the last several months.

After several months of training and learning my new job duties, another decision was made that threw several people in the department another curveball. The coworker who took my old position would now be transferred into a new position in the department and I would be moved back to my original post working for the Foundation. From a leadership perspective, I understand the hustle and bustle that has occurred over the last couple of months. I had been in my position for many years and they wanted me to branch out and learn new skills. The coworker who took my position was trained as my backup so the move made sense in that regard. The position that she transferred to during the second move was a mandatory position that the President created in our department and she was the by far the best fit for the position. I could break down the decision of leadership and how collaboration and strategy may have changed things but I will focus more on how the second round of musical chairs created conflict, discord, and poor decisions in the department.

When the second round of transitions was announced in March the employees involved were informed that the change would be effective April 1, 2017.  We were told that on that date each person would begin doing their new job duties. Unfortunately, this process was delayed due to not being able to find a suitable candidate to fill the cash management position. After several meetings, it was determined that May 1, 2017, would be the new effective date. May then turned into June which then became July. The date has now been labeled undetermined due to the year-end process. I am not saying all of this to complain because I go to work each day to help the company in any way I can. The continual date change plays a part in the conflict because it was determined that over this time period two employees would share the responsibility for three positions. Though we had initial meetings to determine who would do what over the following months, plans do not always work out the way they are supposed to. Due to the multiple moving pieces involved in each position, there were instances where decisions were made without collaborating with the other stakeholders which led to conflict. Two decisions come to mind that created duplicate work that could have been avoided with proper collaboration.

The first incorrect decision I made involved a cash management task. The college has multiple bank accounts, vendors, and cashiers, so a spreadsheet design was created several years ago to ease the pain of reconciling the monthly bank account. A report can be printed from the accounting system to help create the manual spreadsheet. After I was told that I would not be moving over to my new position at the end of May, I made the decision that I should continue to work on the monthly spreadsheet like I had in previous months. I printed the document from the system and began to create the spreadsheet for April. After about a day and a half of manual input, I began the monthly reconciliation process. I had been working on reconciling for about a day or two when my coworker (there are two accountants in the cash management department) came in to ask me to look over something with her. When she saw what I was working on she began to laugh because she was working on the same thing and had been for a couple of days. She was under the impression that I was now working on my new duties and the lack of collaboration created duplicate effort.

The second example involved a budget project. Most budget transfers can be made easily in the system, but there are some transfers that must be uploaded via a spreadsheet. A couple of weeks ago I received an email requesting a budget upload but did not realize it also went to the other accountant who has been tasked with helping out with budget. Long story short, and I’m sure you know where this is headed when I was just finishing up the spreadsheet I received an email that the upload was complete. The other accountant completed the task.

What do these two examples have in common? Lack of collaboration with my fellow coworkers (other stakeholders)! Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther (2001) stated that observing the frames of different stakeholders may allow you to identify any potential conflict. These two situations are perfect examples of the poor decisions that can be made if a lack of collaboration between stakeholders exists. There are several ways that stakeholder involvement could have improved these decisions.

First, collaboration would have given us a clear vision. Levine (2009) listed nine questions that should arise in any conflict. The first question listed was “Does the preliminary vision fit everyone’s view of the outcome” (Levine, 2009, p. 137). In both examples, the outcome was to complete the task at hand, but neither I nor my coworker(s) thought to check with one another about our vision. Secondly, collaboration could also have contributed to the department meeting its goals successfully. Collaboration between stakeholders could have also have saved employees for completing duplicate work. Each employee was under the impression that they were supposed to complete the task, so they did not bother to communicate with the other employee. This lack of collaboration caused wasted time in the department which is the fourth reason shareholder involvement should have existed in these examples. Finally, stakeholder involvement could have created a supportive environment in which we could improve the decision-making process. If we would have communicated with one another then we could have developed a better plan regarding how to divide the work so it was not duplicated. Also, emotions run high during stressful situations and finding out that work was duplicated and time was wasted was a bit stressful.   

As I looked back on the decisions I made and their consequences, I began to contemplate if there was anyone else who would have added value to the process. I would like to say that there was. Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther (2001) argued that decision-making should involve getting advice from other individuals such as experts or customers. There were already several meetings that had taken place about how the work would be managed over the following months. I may have been able to ask the advice of my supervisor but what I should have done was reach out to my coworker. A simple conversation would have made the decision much easier and the conflict would have been avoided.

This assignment and recollection of decisions taught me three valuable lessons that will allow me to make better decisions in the future. First, collaboration between other stakeholders is an important portion of the decision-making process. I must let go of my assumptions and have a conversation with my coworkers in complex or abnormal situations. I also learned that I need to stop and ask myself questions like “Does the preliminary vision take care of all specific concerns in the situation? or What needs correcting or adjusting? (Levine, 2009). These simple questions can change the outcome of a decision. Finally, I learned that slowing down can save time in the long run. Because I did not slow down for a minute and communicate with my coworker I ended up wasting time. The amount of time it would have taken to communicate and collaborate was far less than the time wasted in duplicate work.

References 

Hoch, S., Kunreuther, H., & Gunther, R. (2001). Wharton on making decisions. John Wiley & Sons, Inc

Huesbsch, R. (n.d.). The advantages & disadvantages of collaborating conflict management. Retrieved from http://smallbusiness.chron.com/advantages-disadvantages-collaborating-conflict-management-36052.html


Levine, S. (2009). Getting to resolution: Turning conflict into resolution. (2nd edition). Williston, VT: Berrett-Koehler Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment