Sunday, June 4, 2017

A632.6.3.RB- The high cost of conflict- Trey McNeil

I am an introvert who tries to avoid conflict at all cost. There have been instances where I have chosen to give in rather than disclose that my opinion or reasoning conflicted with another person. I am a peaceful person who tries to treat everyone with respect, so I generally have a conflict with the idea of conflict. Though I do not like conflict, I have learned that giving in and running away from it is not always the healthiest way to deal with a part of life that will occur as we interact with one another. So, there are times where I have stood up for myself and my values creating a conflict. An example at work comes to mind.

First, let me lay out a little background. After college, I was hired as an accounting clerk at a local law firm in Mississippi. After about four and a half years of working for this business, my girlfriend and I decided to move to Florida (I use the word girlfriend loosely as we have been together for over twelve years). After several months of searching, I was offered a position as an accountant for a local college. As an individual who suffered from low self-esteem, being offered the position of an accountant was huge for me and I did not want to do anything to take away from the opportunity, especially since company policy was to place new employees on a sixty-day probationary period.

I apologize for the mundane topic of conversation but I must give you a little background on our accounting system and the breakdown of revenue donations. As the college receives donations, they are placed into different divisions such as fundraising, administration, scholarships, programs, or capital. About a month after I started, I was working on the Board reports trying to produce a chart for the quarterly revenues. The former Controller came to my desk to check on me and see how everything was going. They then asked me to do something that blindsided me then and still gives me chills some nine years later, which is where the conflict began. They decided to fill me in on the previous Board meeting and told me that the Board was questioning the low number of program donations. So, they asked me to move a portion of the revenue that was received for capital into the programs ‘bucket.’ As a new employee, I did not want to seem insubordinate, but I also did not want to break any ethical values that I held, so I held an attitude of resolution (Levine, 2009).

Levine (2009) stated that dialogue is an important piece of conflict negotiation, so I tried to tell my side of the story and how I felt about the request.  The main issue in this conflict was that I felt like I was not being heard. When I laid out my side of the story, which included my concerns, the Controller simply blew them off. They said that we are not inflating or deflating revenue so we are really not doing anything improper or illegal. They said that we were simply redistributing the revenue while the total remained unaltered. Levine (2009) hinted that conflict resolution tends to shut down when one person views the conflict as winning or losing. Both parties must see the conflict through the eyes of resolution. I do not believe the Controller was attempting to resolve the conflict as their line of thinking was one of winning. According to Adams (2015), they had the idea that they held the power in the conflict so they would win and I would lose. Because the Controller did not share my attitude of resolution, the Cycle of Resolution, according to Levine (2009), was not completed as we did not get current and complete or reach a new agreement in principle.

One of the reasons this conflict was never resolved is because not only did I find what they were asking me to do wrong on a professional level, I also found it wrong on an ethical level. According to LaFollette (2007), some individuals make decisions based on principles alone while the consequences of the decisions become moot. After a night of soul-searching, I decided that I could not do what was being asked and a resolution to the conflict would not be reached. I am not sure if she eventually adjusted the revenue but I know this instance changed our relationship. In this situation, the cost of conflict was much higher than I would have signed up for. This conflict caused the trust to broken from both perspectives and did not allow a great relationship to form. Unfortunately, this Controller was let go from the company a couple of years later, so we never able to be very close.

Levine (2009) offered ten principles of new thinking in regards to a conflict. I would like to analyze the conflict utilizing several of the principles to determine if the outcome or cost of conflict would have been altered. One of the principles offered by Levine (2009) was creating a partnership.  “People who are working together often waste resources because they do not have a clearly articulated vision of where they were going and how they would get there” (Levine, 2009, p. 53).This conflict lacked a partnership and this lacking created a blurry vision of the finish line. We were both on separate pages and were not able to work together to come up with a unified plan on how to resolve the issue. This lack of partnership did not waste physical resources, but it did create a misuse of resources because we did not create a strong bond. This individual had been in the accounting field for over thirty years and could have been a great source of information.

‘Becoming open’ is another useful principle that Levine (2009) offered in conflict resolution. This is an action I attempted to do in telling my side of the story, but for conflict resolution to take place, the openness must be reciprocated by both parties. The former Controller did not care about being open or creating a resolution as they were more concerned with winning the conflict.  I’ll admit that I was not open to their line of thinking either. If openness and listening would have taken place on both sides a resolution may have been reached.

Levine (2009) also stated that individual should not only rely on intuition and feelings but also disclose these feelings. I attempted to use intuition in the conflict resolution process. I let the other party know that I did not believe the changes were something that should be made. I tried to tell them that if the Board would like to see higher revenue in the programs division then the Foundation should attempt to change their agenda and try to raise more program dollars. All of my feelings and intuition fell on deaf ears. If the other party would have been more amiable to let me know their feelings and intuition then there is a good chance the conflict may have ended differently.

Finally, Levine (2009) stated that individuals must become ResponseAble when dealing with conflicts. In other words, they must take charge and not avoid conflict. This is one principle in which I acted upon in the described conflict. Though my action of becoming ResponseAble created the conflict, I believe that it was a useful action. If I would have given in to the request then I may have put myself in a professional hole not long after I started at the company. I ran the risk of being disciplined for not acting upon their request, but that is a decision I could have lived with. I’m not sure I could have lived with my decision if I gave in to their wish.

References

Adams, M. (2015). Do you use power to resolve your conflicts. Retrieved from http://www.gordontraining.com/leadership/do-you-use-power-to-resolve-your-conflicts/#

LaFollette, H. (2007). The practice of ethics. Malden, MA: Blackwell


Levine, S. (2009). Getting to resolution: Turning conflict into resolution. (2nd edition). Williston, VT: Berrett-Koehler Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment