Friday, September 1, 2017

A521.4.4.RB- Listening- Trey McNeil

This week I had the privilege of watching the short video entitled Tom Peter’s Leadership Thoughts: Listening. In this video Peters (2009), discussed the fact that the patient is the best source for a doctor to cure an ailment, however, on average the doctor only allows the patient to speak for 18 seconds before interrupting them with their thoughts. Eighteen seconds? There is a chance that the patient has not described all of their symptoms if the doctor interrupts after only 18 seconds. I know they are busy, but physicians should listen to patients in order to create the best diagnosis. Physicians are not the only group that should listen as leaders have a tendency to become 18-second managers too.

Last night, my girlfriend asked if she could watch the video with me because she enjoys learning new material and had not had the opportunity to see this video. After watching the video, she told me an instance that occurs every so often at work where she becomes an 18-second manager. I began to wonder if I am guilty of being an 18-second manager. I thought for a while and was not able to come up with a time that I was an 18-second manager but thought of times where someone has been an 18-second manager to me.

About 45 minutes later, I was discussing a completely different topic with my girlfriend. I asked her a question and as she started to answer I began interjecting my thoughts on the subject. We both stopped mid-sentence as alarms went off in my head. I realized that I had just become an 18-second manager. Oh no, there are times when I am an 18-second manager! I racked my brain less than an hour prior to this occurrence without coming up with an example and there it was right in my face. My point is that most people may not know they are guilty of being an 18-second manager- I know I didn’t. Peters (2009) stated that most likely 7 out of 8 people do not know they act in this way. Are there times when you are an 18-second manager? What can we do to limit these occurrences? Peters (2009) said that the answer was simple- listening before responding.

As I previously mentioned, I did recall an instance in which I was the victim of an 18-second manager though I was not aware until last night that was the name to describe their activities. As an accountant for the Foundation, I deal regularly with the fundraising staff in the Foundation and one individual has a habit of being an 18-second manager. There are times where I will get a call questioning the activity on a report, how to run a certain report, or why a student received a certain scholarship. These are common questions associated with my work and I do not mind investigating the activity to determine the answer. However, when asked these questions, I do like to develop my thoughts and answer before the other individual shares their thoughts.

A recent example took place when they asked me to come over and take a look at a report that was being sent to the State of Florida. They asked me why the report had such a drastic change from the previous year. I sat and thought for a couple of seconds and as I was beginning to answer they rattled off about five options of why they thought the report had changed.  I did not even have time to develop a response before I was bombarded by multiple possibilities. I was not able to give them my opinion before validating their opinions and discussing why I do not think that they were causing the problem. I eventually told the person I would think about it for a minute and get back with them. I went back to my office and within maybe thirty seconds realized the issue. I do not believe this individual is an 18-second manager on purpose. Maybe they are like me and do not know that their actions can negatively affect both the situation and the relationship.

McKay, Davis, & Fanning (2009) offered several variables of clarifying language because we all experience a situation or the world around us differently. A language pattern that could confine your message is imposed limits. According to McKay et al. (2009) imposed limits are “words or phrases that suggest you have no choice” (p. 112). A call or visit from this individual usually starts with ‘I can’t determine how to…’ A better choice of words would be ‘could you remind me how to run this report as I am having trouble remembering?’ There are no limits that disallow this individual from running the report so using the term can’t is inappropriate.

Another language barrier that is common for an 18-second manager is mind reading.  According to Morin (2016), mind reading takes place when you make assumptions regarding how another person thinks.  There have been multiple occurrences where this individual will say I know that you think data is wrong because of the parameters or dates but I have already made sure they are correct. In this case, I did not think the dates were incorrect, so assuming that I did created beliefs that were untrue (McKay et al., 2009).

A third language barrier that is common is presuppositions. According to Merriam-Webster (n.d.), the definition of presupposition is “to require an antecedent in logical or fact” (n.p.). McKay et al. (2009) offered a more understandable definition in stating that a presupposition is a part of a statement that can only be true if the remainder of the statement is true. For instance, if my coworker stated that I was frustrated the last time she asked about a report, so she was hesitant to ask this time, then a presupposition was used. This is a statement that has been used by this coworker and I have clarified that I was not frustrated and do not mind helping out when needed.

The history of my coworker being an 18-second manager has negatively impacted our relationship in that I am now hesitant to answer their calls. I feel bad not answering the calls but have discovered that listening to their message and thinking about a solution is a better process than dealing with the 18-second management. I am able to come up with a solution and call her back which saves both time and energy.

My intention of this post was not to talk negatively about my coworker. I am sure there are other 18-second managers in my department, circle of friends, and even family.  Instead, it was to show how easily we can become 18-second managers. We most likely all do it frequently or have done it at some point, so, we must become better listeners before responding. Peters (2009) stated that we must practice listening just like we would sports or a piano. I intend to become more cognizant of when I and others around me are acting like 18-second managers. Maybe I can use clarifying language to help them understand their actions.

References

McKay, M., Davis, M., & Fanning, P. (2009). Messages: The communication skills book. Oakland: New Harbinger Publications, Inc.

Merrima-Webster. (n.d.). Presuppose. Retrieved from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/presuppose

Morin, A. (2016). 9 mistakes that make you a bad listener. Retrieved from https://www.inc.com/amy-morin/9-bad-habits-that-prevent-you-from-being-a-good-listener.html


Peters, T. (2009). Tom Peter’s leadership thoughts: Listening [Video File]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwB7NAvKPeo

No comments:

Post a Comment