Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A521.5.4- Core Workplace Values- Trey McNeil

Our values are visible in nearly everything we do. They help define our actions and our beliefs both personally and professionally. Our values also assist in guiding the decisions we make. Hansen (n.d.) developed the Core Workplace Value Assessment Exercise as a guide to help individuals determine the values that are most important to them and compare it to their current or potential place of employment. This week I had the pleasure of completing the assessment in an effort to define my five core values.

I determined that my five core values were (a) the opportunity for balance between work life and family, (b) integrity and truth, (c) autonomy, (d) stability and security, and (e) friendship and a warm working environment. Each of these values is extremely important to me and most are visible at my workplace.

During my first day at my current job, I was asked to attend a luncheon. The first day is usually full of orientation activities, but I happened to start on a day when the Executive lunch was taking place. One of the attendees was the former president of the college. He made his rounds introducing himself to the approximately five new employees. We began talking and he asked about my personal and professional background. As the conversation was coming to a close, he said something that has stuck with me for nearly ten years. He said to remember that this job is not our lives. He said he had a life outside of his work and her name is Linda.

Though we have changed presidents a couple of times since then, his words still radiate with me. He was hinting to me that work/life balance must remain a goal to limit the stress of our jobs. According to Blanding (2015), workplace stress causes nearly 200 billion dollars in health care cost each year. My department is good about attempting to limit our stress. In my opinion, a balance between work and family is not only beneficial to the employee but also the employer.

According to Bunting (2016), a survey of over 100,000 individuals showed that honesty was the most valued leadership quality. I believe strongly in integrity and honesty. Integrity and honesty are the building blocks of trust and I find trust crucial in both personal and professional relationships. Everything is simpler when the truth is involved. I would rather go through the difficulty of having a truthful and honest conversation with someone than I would to be dishonest with them. Lies become difficult to keep up with. I have worked for individuals that have a different thought process and found it unappetizing. My supervisor now is honest and truthful with her followers and those actions create a great working environment and a trusting relationship.

I have the belief that a follower should be allowed autonomy in their work. If an individual has a track record of getting the job done and beating deadlines then they should be allowed to work in a manner that best suits their style.  I have worked with individuals who allow their followers empowerment and autonomy and I have worked with people who felt the need to micromanage and watch their followers like a hawk. I felt more productive and free when I was allowed a bit of autonomy. As Whetten and Cameron (2016) stated, “Empowered people have a sense that when they act, they can produce a result” (p. 370).

Stability and security are other values that I hold dear to my heart. The preparer in me wants to make sure everything is steady and safe before it can be trusted. Both my dad and my stepmom are in the car business. When I was growing up they made a great living, but there were those months where business was slower than normal so their income was reduced. This is the sole reason I did not venture into a sales career. I did not want the stress that comes with an inconsistent monthly wage. My current job offers consistent pay, health benefits, and is in the stable field of education.

We spend more time interacting with our co-workers during any typical week than we do at home with our families. So, why wouldn’t we want to build friendships and a warm working environment with our co-workers? I find it important to work in an environment that allows for friendships and strong rapports to be developed. I have worked in environments that seemed to be cold and unfriendly and I did not find myself very productive. According to Mossman (2013), a happy employee tends to be more productive. Luckily, I work in a department that allows for friendship and comradery. We have a monthly breakfast meeting and the Vice President urges friendship among the department as she sees us as more of a family.

According to Denning (2011), four types of values exist in organizations today including (a) the values of the robber barons, (b) the values of the hardball strategist, (c) the values of the pragmatists, and (d) genuinely ethical values. I began to think about which set of values would best describe my organization. If I were to label my department, I would say that the genuinely ethical values exist. First, we are in the accounting and finance department so if we are not ethical then we could get in a lot of trouble! Also, the current VP has developed a culture that cares about the employees. “They imply treating their stakeholders as ends in themselves, not merely means to make money” (Denning, 2011, p. 131). This statement describes the culture that my VP has attempted to create in our department. The department consists of upward communication, trust, autonomy, and loyalty.

Unfortunately, my organization as a whole does not hold the same values as my department. If I were to rate the organization’s values, I would say that they would fall into the values of the pragmatists. The organization does not do all it can to win with no regards for culture like a hardball strategists or robber barons. The organization does hold values that instrumental in the business strategy (Denning, 2011). The organization values the students and therefore most decisions are made with the students in mind. According to Denning (2011), values are a key to long-term survival. I believe that the students are the number one priority but the employees must also be heard and appreciated.

In a previous assignment, we discussed the rumor mill in an organization. I have heard individuals say that the college does not care about their about their opinions. They say they have suggested actions that would be helpful to both the students and employees and their suggestions have fallen on deaf ears. When people begin to talk in a negative manner about the organization, then rumors begin to start. Maybe the college as a whole could also focus on organizational wide communication. The value of being listened to and appreciated goes a long way in creating productive and trusting employees. 

References

Balnding, M. (2015). Workplace stress responsible for up to $190B in annual U.S. healthcare costs. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/hbsworkingknowledge/2015/01/26/workplace-stress-responsible-for-up-to-190-billion-in-annual-u-s-heathcare-costs/#6586db30235a

Denning, S. (2011). The leader’s guide to storytelling; Mastering the art and discipline of business narrative. San Francisco, CA. Jossey-Bass.

Bunting, M. (2016). Honesty:  The single most important leadership value. Retrieved from http://www.theceomagazine.com/business/honesty-the-single-most-important-leadership-value/

Hansen, R.S. (n.d.). Core workplace values assessment exercise

Mossman, J. (2013). Employee-friendly workplace culture a key to company success. Retrieved from http://www.denverpost.com/2013/04/06/employee-friendly-workplace-culture-a-key-to-company-success/


Whetten, D. & Cameron, K. (2016). Developing management skills (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall/Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment