Friday, September 22, 2017

A521.7.3.RB- Secret Structure- Trey McNeil

For most Americans, presentations are not something we excitedly volunteer for. In fact, not only are most Americans not eager to give a speech, they face some sort of fear or anxiety prior to and during the delivery of their presentation. According to Statistics Brain (n.d.), approximately seventy-four percent of people suffer from a fear of public speaking which is known as glossophobia. I am a portion of the seventy-four percent as I have a colossal fear of giving presentations. I know individuals who freely make presentations at the office; in fact, they like to give presentations. I, on the other hand, have only made presentations when required by school classes or my job.

So, why are so many people terrified of public speaking and presentations?  Morgan (2011) stated that most people fear presentations due to the adrenaline we get from the presentation. I can attest to adrenaline being a factor in regards to my fear of public speaking. My heart is always pounding and I tend to fidget when I speak publically. Morgan (2011) stated that the adrenaline could be managed by taking very deep breaths or going for a walk prior to the presentation, which helps to control the fear. Managing the adrenaline could help eliminate the fear of public speaking.

This week I had the pleasure of viewing a 2011 TED Talk by Nancy Duarte entitled “The Secret Structures of Great Talks”, which offered a different view on delivering a great presentation. This is a video in which I thoroughly enjoyed! Not only did this video offer great techniques and structures that construct a great speech, it also offered great life advice. We have all encountered roadblocks in our lives. We have had bad luck or received bad news that could cause us to get discouraged. “We self-sabotage our own ideas, we just butt up against the roadblocks, and butt up against the roadblocks instead of choosing to let the struggle transform us and choosing to go ahead and have a dream and make it real” (Duarte, 2011, 16:22). This video reminded us to persevere as we reach for our dreams and share our ideas.

Duarte (2011) stated that we all can change the world because we have the most influential device known to man- an idea. All ideas have the potential to be powerful, but they have to be shared in order for them to be influential. Duarte (2011) also reminded the audience that the presenter is not the star of the show. The audience is the hero and star of the show and the presenter must act as the mentor to guide the audience in the right direction. So, how do we keep the audience interested while we guide them toward our life-changing idea? According to Duarte (2011), the answer is by crafting our presentation out of a story.

How many of us have attended a presentation where we were barely able to keep our eyes open? I know I have painfully sat through many presentations where I wished I was in a cartoon so I could draw eyes on my eyelids and take a well-deserved nap. Now, think of the presentations where you were entertained and are able to remember the idea of the presenter. What was the difference? More than likely, the presentation you remember was crafted like a story. This presentation more than likely also affected you emotionally.

Duarte (2011) went as far as to develop a diagram of what a great presentation should look like. I began to laugh when she showed the diagram and it resembled the old game ‘snake’ that I used to play on my cell phone. However, when she described her diagram, it began to make sense to me. Duarte (2011) argued that, just like a story, a presentation should have a beginning, middle, and end. The beginning should describe the current state of ‘what is.’ The end of the presentation should discuss ‘what could be.’ The presenter should work to help the audience understand how great the world could be with their idea. The middle of the presentation should alter between the present and future. 

The presentation also contained an overview of two famous speeches made by Steve Jobs and Martin Luther King, Jr. in relation to the diagram (Duarte, 2011). She talked about how both men began their speeches with a conversation of the present. Martin Luther King, Jr. discussed the oppression of African- Americans and Steve Jobs discussed current cellular phones. Both men altered from the present to the future while grabbing the attention of the audience. The speech delivered by Jobs was full of laughter, awe, and ovation and the speech delivered by King was captivating and emotional for the audience. Both men ended by describing the future. King described his dream for America and Jobs revealed the iPhone and promised that Apple would continue to be innovative while creating any phones in the future.

After watching the presentation delivered by Duarte (2011) and listening to her description of a great talk, I began to ponder how I could use this information to become a better and livelier presenter. I will be turning in a presentation for a Masters class soon and began to wonder how these tips could help to bolster my delivery. I do not consider myself to be as great a speaker as Martin Luther King, Steve Jobs, Winston Churchill, or Hillary Clinton, but maybe I do not have to be. If I can strengthen my delivery with the help of Duarte (2011), then maybe I can be successful in sharing my idea.

I have a bad habit of being monotone during speeches. When I took a speech class in college, my best friend happened to be in the same class. After one of my speeches, he poked fun at me for sounding like Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. (Admit it. You are picturing Ben Stein right now saying Bueller… Bueller.) He said that my presentation lacked life and even his mind began to drift. Part of this habit of being monotone and non-emotional comes from my fear of public speaking. However, if I am able to deliver my presentation in the form of a story and have confidence in my technique then I should be able to shed the fear and deliver a better presentation.

Another tip that I will try to use in future presentations is the technique of going between the present and future in my story. When I think back at some of the presentations I have given I realize that I usually discuss how things are now for the first half of my speech and then switch gears to how things could be for the remainder of the speech. I have not attempted going back and forth throughout my story. If I am able to traverse between the ‘what is’ and the ‘what could be’, my presentations should become stronger.

When I think about some of the great speeches in history they all have one thing in common- they somehow affect the audience emotionally. I am sure there were chills on the spines of many individuals when John F. Kennedy Jr. told America that we went to the moon. Another speech that comes to mind is the Hall of Fame induction speech of Bob Ueker. I do not know Ueker form his playing days and am not a Milwaukee Brewers fan, so I have never listened to him call a baseball game. However, his comedic timing and the emotion he brought out of the audience during his Hall of Fame speech is unforgettable. Duarte (2011) reminded us that getting the audience involved or sparking some sort of emotion is a key to delivering a great presentation. I hope to follow in the footsteps of these great storytelling presenters in future presentations.  

Finally, Duarte (2011) reminded us that we may not all be able to change the world. We will not have the opportunity to give a speech that matches the meaning of Dr. King’s ‘I have a dream’ speech. However, she stated that we do have the opportunity and power to change ourselves. I felt the pain as Duarte (2011) described her unfortunate childhood. She told this story not to make the audience feel bad for her but to prove how change is possible. The presentation I must deliver next week is based on my future story. I must remember to not let the roadblocks stop my ideas or goals. I have a history of delivering less than powerful speeches. But, if I believe in the material and use the steps offered this week, then I can change my story and create a speech that delivers my idea.

References

Duarte, N. (2011). The secret structure of great talks [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/nancy_duarte_the_secret_structure_of_great_talks

Morgan, N. (2011, August 11). Why we fear public speaking and how to overcome it. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmorgan/2011/03/30/why-we-fear-public-speaking-and-how-to-overcome-it/2/#5334bae049ea

Statistics Brain. (2016, September 03). Fear of public speaking statistics. Retrieved from http://www.statisticbrain.com/fear-of-public-speaking-statistics/

No comments:

Post a Comment