Saturday, August 19, 2017

A521.2.3.RB- The danger of a single story- Trey McNeil

Growing up, I remember a commercial that played very often featuring Sally Struthers standing around unbathed and starving children. I was not aware of the fact that Sally Struthers had gained fame from All in the Family. To me, all she resembled was the spokesperson for the organization that was adamant about feeding and clothing these hungry children. She and the other members of the organization were dedicated to sending these children to school and making sure they were clothed and had shelter each night, which could have been accomplished if the viewer donated $1 a day. I probably saw that commercial five hundred times as a kid having no idea it affected me in a way other than worrying about the children and wishing I could help. 

This week I had the pleasure of viewing the 2009 TED talk by the Nigerian Storyteller Chimamanda Adiche which discussed single stories. In her speech, Adiche (2009) discussed growing up in a middle-class family in Nigeria. She mentioned that as a middle-class family it was customary to have a houseboy to help with cleaning and other chores around the home. She stated that all she knew about the houseboy was that he came from a poor family. One day she was invited to the houseboy’s home for dinner. When she arrived, she saw a beautiful basket made by his brother. She was stunned to learn that poor people could develop baskets. In her example, poverty was the single story (Adiche, 2009). Hence, poverty was all she knew about the family. 

According to Abagond (2009), a single story is one that gets repetitively told about a place that we do not know first-hand creating stereotypes and half-truths. As I thought about the commercial I watched so many times, I realized I became encapsulated in a single story as a child. I saw all of the hungry, uneducated, unclothed children and developed a picture in my mind that all of Africa must be that way. In my head, Africa was filled with poverty stricken children with nothing to eat and nowhere to sleep. I am embarrassed to admit that I was wrong for buying into this single story.

Adiche (2009) listed many examples of single stories that she has experienced in her life. I snickered when she discussed the time her roommate from college asked to listen to a sampling of her ‘tribal music’ and she pulled out her Mariah Carrey cd. Once again the single story created an incomplete picture. The roommate believed what she had learned in Western literature. Adiche (2009) stated, “So that is how to create a single story, show a people as one thing, as only one thing, over and over again, and that is what they become” (9:27). It has become evident that I, like most of us, am guilty of creating a single story. As I thought about a single story, I began to reflect on the times that I generated this type of story only to have the glass shatter once I learned more about the subject.

Growing up in a small town in Mississippi, a single story was written about big cities -especially the larger cities in the north. Take New York City for example. The story written about New York City was that it was too busy for anyone to care about anyone else. The individuals were rude, angry, and in too much of a hurry to help each other. This story was conceived from movies in which cab drivers or other citizens would yell at each other. TV shows created characters at the front desk of the hotel who would not give the time of day to help you. I even heard first-hand accounts of people the city that perpetuated the single story. I was honestly worried how I would fit in if I ever visited. However, I should not have listened to the story others were telling about New York City.

When I visit New York City, the single story was disproven within a couple of hours of being in the city. We were asked if we needed help at Grand Central Station before we even asked (I guess our tourist badges were more evident than we thought they would be). I actually saw someone help another individual cross the street, which I have not seen in Florida or Mississippi. I witnessed multiple people carrying baby stroller for mothers up or down the steps to the subway. I admit once again that I was ashamed of the single story that I not only believed but repeated on multiple occasions. In every large city there are more than likely rude and disingenuous people, but to believe a city was constructed of only these individuals was a mistake! Adiche (2009) stated that single stories emphasize how we are different instead of discussing similarities, which was evident in the story I helped construct about New York City. Not only was I erroneous about the city, I loved my visit and cannot wait to return. 

The simple story can also be utilized in analyzing ourselves or a place we know well. Mississippi is known as the hospitality state. From a Mississippian’s perspective, hospitality is the single story both written and believed. I recently went back home to Mississippi for a wedding and observed several instances of anything but hospitality. I saw a road rage incident in which people were screaming at each other, I witnessed an episode that leaned toward the side of racism, and I saw many individuals hurriedly going about their business with no regard for the other citizens. The single story is hospitality but a broad view adamantly opposes the story that has been written.

According to Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther (2001), I occasionally suffer from frame blindness in decision-making because I “look out at the world through one mental window and fail to notice the views offered by other windows” (p. 139). This same concept can be applied to single stories in that single stories only tell you part of the information, therefore, believing this type of story would be incorrect.

McKay, Davis, and Fanning (2009) stated that there are four types of expression including (a) observations, (b) thought, (c), feelings, and (d) needs. A whole message is able to incorporate all four types of expression (McKay et al., 2009).  The message delivered by Adiche (2009), was a combination of each type of expression. She was able to discuss the things she saw, what those sights made her think, how she felt about her thoughts, and finally, her need to alter her thought and the way things are viewed. McKay et al. (2009) also discussed self-awareness as a preparation technique for your message or communication. In his discussion of springboard a springboard story, Denning (2011), stated that purpose is an important element to the story. It was evident that the message was well prepared and Adiche understood the purpose of her communication.

Another observation that I made while viewing Adiche’s (2009) speech was the comfort, confidence, and pride she felt for her subject matter. According to Whalen and Ricca (2007), “As you speak, you become filled with feelings of pride and joy for your ideas. You let your pride flow from you to your audience” (p. 21). The comfort that she shared with the message was evident in the jokes she made and in her delivery.

I enjoyed the thought-provoking speech delivered by Adiche. I found it interesting how many instances single stories have skewed our view or feelings about a particular subject. The overall message is that we need to become aware of not just one side of the story but a balance of stories. I admit that I must also become cognizant of the world around me and avoid the stereotypes. I believe the message Adiche (2009) was trying to deliver was that we all must remain aware of a balance of stories and not just the single story so we can avoid the dangerous stereotypes that seem to be all around us.

References

Abagond. (2009, October 30). The single story. Retrieved from https://abagond.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/the-single-story/

Adiche, C. (2009, October).  Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story. Ted.com. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story

Denning, S. (2011). The leader’s guide to storytelling; Mastering the art and discipline of business narrative. San Francisco, CA. Jossey-Bass.

Hoch, S., Kunreuther, H., & Gunther, R. (2001). Wharton on making decisions. John Wiley & Sons, Inc

McKay, M., Davis, M., & Fanning, P. (2009). Messages: The communication skills book. Oakland: New Harbinger Publications, Inc.


Whalen, D. J., & Ricca, T. M. (2007). The professional communications toolkit. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment