Saturday, August 26, 2017

A521.3.4.RB- Credibility- Trey McNeil

To be honest, before I began reading the prompt for this week’s blog, I judged the title of the blog. I saw that the blog was named credibility and I began to think about all of the ways that I am credible. I thought to myself that I am not the best communicator, but I am credible, so this should be an interesting assignment. Once I read the prompt for the blog and realized that credibility referred to persuasive communication, I felt a bit different about the assignment.

Whalen and Ricca (2007) discussed the pillars of credibility some of which include (a) expertise, (b) trustworthiness, (c) goodwill, and (d) dynamism. Though I do not consider myself a persuasive person, I do try to create trustworthiness and goodwill with everyone I interact with. I make a point to treat everyone with respect and build trust with them because I believe trust is important in building all relationships. However, I feel like I fall a bit short with the other two pillars (expertise and dynamism). However, in an effort to become a more credible and persuasive speaker, one pillar needs much more work than the other.

In terms of expertise, I have worked for my organization for nearly ten years and have been the accountant for the Foundation for over six years. I have expertise in the area of accounting and the Foundation. I just do not have the self-confidence. Whalen and Ricca (2007) reminded us to “think about the specialized training you have taken, the facts you have at your command” (p. 124). When communicating with my co-workers, I must remember that I have the expertise and they are asking me questions because they trust my skill level in the subject.

One area I have always struggled mightily in regards to speaking was my presentation- more specifically delivering my message in a dynamic fashion. According to Mazur (2012), no matter how great your ideas or content are, your method of delivery can ruin a presentation. I used to chalk my struggle up to nervousness as I would rather do almost anything else than speaking in front of a crowd.  But that excuse failed to be sufficient when I would fail to clearly deliver a message to a single co-worker or leader. I have a tendency of mixing my words up and sometimes delivering a different message than intended. I also have a propensity to be very monotone and bland during my communication.

Mazur (2012) stated that scrambling through your notes with no eye contact will create doubt in the audience that you know what you are talking about. Anyone can get up in front of a group of people and read. However, that is not a great form of delivery and the content will not be memorable! Another habit that I have is not paying attention to the audience which makes for communication that is not dynamic. Madden (2012) stated that a dynamic delivery includes paying attention to the audience to ensure that they remain engaged.

I once had to deliver a message to my co-workers about a new change that was occurring with state matching donations (I know it is lively material). I tried to prepare my presentation by practicing but it still did not go well. One of my coworkers that I trusted came up to me and said that all I did was read off of a paper. I got feedback- this is good!  I can use this to get better. However, my solution was to look up every couple of seconds and continue reading. Not the best solution as my delivery continued to lack dynamism. 

This blog comes at a great time for me as a tool of self-reflection. Earlier this week, my employer held a conference which included a keynote speaker. He was an associate professor at the University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill. The purpose of his presentation was to offer tips to the faculty about how to deliver a lesson in a style that reaches each type of student. He discussed how students learn differently and that professors should alter their teaching methods to better include every student. It was a great presentation as he was full of life. He walked the stage so each person could see him. He used inflection and jokes in his presentation as a method to keep the attention of the audience. His presentation was full of examples of what to do in the classroom and what not to do in the classroom to deliver a memorable lesson. At one point during his ‘what not to do’ guidelines, he stood behind the podium, looked down, and began to act as if he was reading a psychology lesson. His voice was monotone and without life, as he rambled on about important dates and psychological terms. He did not look up or engage the audience for what felt like five minutes.

When he stepped back from behind the podium, he asked the audience to guess how long that skit lasted. The answer was 56 seconds. As he was going through this example, a lightbulb went off in my head. I began to think- Oh no… that is me! I looked at people on their phone and daydreaming. The presenter who was easily connecting with his audience was able to purposely lose them in less than a minute. If a dynamic presenter can quickly lose their audience then how will I ever connect with individuals I address? I thought to myself that I must begin to use dynamism as a form of credibility. But, how do I begin to develop this pillar? What can I do to become more dynamic in my delivery?

Whalen and Ricca (2007) argued that dynamic communication begins with enthusiasm. A communicator should discuss ideas that they truly understand and take the time to develop a plan to deliver these ideas (Whalen and Ricca, 2007). That is part of my problem- I must be concerned that the audience understands my message. If I put myself in their shoes and make sure I am delivering in a way the message makes sense then I will take a step in the right direction in terms of dynamism. 

According to Time to Market (2017) listening is also a part of being a dynamic communicator. I must learn to listen what is asked of me and alter my delivery based on inquiries from my audience or followers. I cannot appear to be credible if I do not listen to concerns and change my delivery. I may look like I am prepared for the conversation, but this preparedness could lack credibility.

I must also learn how to talk freely to my listeners. (Whalen and Ricca, 2007) I will continue to lose credibility if my conversations consist of a delivery that sounds robotic and rehearsed. Free –flowing dialogue brings liveliness to the conversation which could also be a form of credibility. Finally, I need to work on bringing enthusiasm into my conversations. Enthusiasm will be a welcomed alternative to my monotone delivery and could begin to help establish credibility through dynamism.

References

Maden, S. (2012). 10 Tips to Create and Give Dynamic Presentations. Retrieved from http://burnsmcdmedia.com/careersblog/2012/12/18/10-tips-to-create-and-give-dynamic-presentations/

Mazur , M. (2012). The Importance of Dynamic Speaking Delivery | Dr. Michelle Mazur. Retrieved from https://drmichellemazur.com/2012/10/importance-dynamic-speaking-delivery.html

Time to Market. (n.d.). Presentation Training & Coaching • Time to Market. Retrieved from https://www.timetomarket.co.uk/presentation-tips/successful-presentation-tips/how-to-be-a-dynamic-communicator/


Whalen, D. J., & Ricca, T. M. (2007). The professional communications toolkit. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment