Wednesday, August 16, 2017

A640.7.3.How to answer case study questions_Trey McNeil

When I began to think about pursuing my Masters in leadership, I asked several people that had taken the program what I should expect. I weighed my options heavily as I was also considering an MBAA degree. The reviews were positive as some people said that the leadership program gave them a new look on leadership, organizations, and even themselves. After much consideration, I decided to pursue the MSLD degree. However, there was one aspect of the program that terrified me- the case studies.

There were two answers that were redundant in regards to the most difficult features of the program- the literature review in MSLD 500 and the case studies littered throughout the course work.  Though I was a successful undergraduate student, I always had trouble with the finance and accounting related case studies. Actually, my disagreement with case studies began in middle school trying to determine which train will get to Phoenix first between the train traveling from Denver and the train coming from Santa Fe.  

Looking back on my journey, I am glad that I did not shy away from the program due to my fear of the content.  One valuable lesson that I learned was not to listen to everything you hear and that my opinion does not always agree with the masses. Over the last nine classes, I have learned to appreciate the case studies and see them as an outstanding real-world learning tool.

I recently found a 2017 article by Juanita King in which she discussed methods to answering case study questions. This article was full of valid points including (a) read the study slowly to make sure all information is understood, (b) look for key words and figures in the writing as they can help answer the question(s), (c) be sure to locate the topic sentence and make sure you understand it before moving on, (d) visualize the scenario as you read, and (e) slow down if the material begins to become confusing (King, 2017). I began to wonder how the approach I have utilized during my tenure in the program stacked up to her methods of answering the questions.

When I began the program, my thought-process in relations to case studies was to read it and hope for the best while answering the questions. However, my first class that contained case studies offered a format to help answer the case studies. The elements included in the format were (a) macro and micro problems, (b) causes, (c) systems affected, (d) alternatives, and (e) recommendations.  This form divided the case studies into more manageable sections. The idea of case studies was no longer as daunting!  The format offered allowed me to break down the study as it forced me to read the case study slowly to make sure it was being comprehended (King, 2017).  As I progressed through the program, I continued to use this format to assist me in the case studies.

King (2017) also recommended slowing down and taking you time in answering the questions. This is a method I adopted in the early stages of the program. I am not sure if it is common practice, but my weekly case studies would usually be a three-part process. The first day would consist of reading and then usually re-reading the case study. I would then ponder the story for a day and think about how I would answer the questions. The next day would consist of sitting down with pen and paper to go through the elements of the case study. What were the macro problems? What were the systems affected?  Once I had an outline of how I wanted to answer the questions, I would wait another day to type them just in case my thoughts changed on an element of the case study. I have always been a diligent preparer and I know this method may not work for everyone, but it was helpful to me.

Another process I used in answering case study questions was to attempt to incorporate the elements of thought in my answers.  Nosich (2012) stated that critical thinking differed from thinking in that it must be reflective and meet high standards. I began to incorporate certain elements such as point of view and assumptions in my responses. Is my point of view altering the information provided and guiding my answer? Are any assumptions weighing into my response? I also attempted to look at the type of leadership demonstrated in the case study. This week’s discussion post revolved around team leadership.  If the leaders exhibited team leadership, such as the founders of Veja Sneakers then the answers would be different than a leader who exhibited strategic leadership such as Matthew Douglas from Douglas Fine Foods. When I incorporated the elements of critical thinking and the leadership styles demonstrated into my responses, the case studies began to make more sense.

One tip that King (2017) offered was to visualize the story as you were reading it. I wish I would have incorporated this tip into my approach. The one case where this would have been very helpful was the first study of this class about Dickerson College. I have to admit that I had trouble understanding it due to the length of the study and the broad history it covered. If I would have visualized myself as the individuals mentioned in the story, then I may have grasped the information quicker.

King (2017) stated that word arrangement can hold a significant importance in case studies. This is one tip that I will take with for future case studies. I did not pay attention to word arrangement and probably should have. The way words are arranged can help clarify the message in a case study.

Though I was terrified of case studies before entering the leadership program, I am happy that I remained in the program as they were a great tool throughout the course work.

References

King, J. (2017). How to Answer Case Study Questions. Retrieved from http://www.ehow.com/how_8342765_answer-case-study-questions.html

Nosich, G. M. (2012). Learning To Think Things Through: A Guide to Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum.Boston: Pearson Education, Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment