Friday, November 3, 2017

A3.3.RB- Working with EI- getting results- Trey McNeil

One key to effective leadership is emotional intelligence. According to Tracy (2017), emotional intelligence is the capability to manage and understand emotions. As leaders, we must be able to manage our own emotions while grasping the emotions of our followers or fellow co-workers. Goleman (2012) discussed the importance of the four dimensions of emotional intelligence which include (a) self-awareness, (b) self-management, (c) empathy, and (d) social skills. Each dimension plays an important role in becoming emotionally intelligent. Personally, I view some of the dimensions as strengths and others as weaknesses. 

According to Goleman (2012), self- awareness is the ability to know what we feel and understand why we feel the way we do. According to Lipman (20145), an effective leader must be aware of how their actions and emotions affect other. Self-awareness is important because if you are not in tune with yourself then two things could happen. First, not understanding your feelings could lead to poor self-management which, as a leader, could set a tone of negativity or dissonance. Also, if you are not in tune with your own emotions then how will you ever accomplish being in tune with the emotions of your followers and co-workers. We must learn how to be self-aware as a link to building a trusting and empathetic relationships with our followers.

I feel like I have had decent success at becoming cognizant of my emotions. I am usually able to get in tune with myself and understand how I am feeling at any given time. However, according to Goleman (2012), understanding how I feel does not make me self-aware. I must also understand why I feel the way I feel. This is one step that I must work to develop. There are instances when I feel angry, perturbed, or annoyed and cannot put my finger on the reason behind the feeling. In times of positive emotions, not knowing why I feel happy is not a big deal. But not understanding why I have negative feelings (irritated or agitated) about a situation, could lead to these feelings getting stronger and possibly spreading to others. Have you ever been around someone who is angry? Though you were not angry, you may begin to feel a bit annoyed by the situation. This is because emotions and feelings are easily spread (Boyatzis & McKee, 2005). Therefore, I must learn to pay more attention to the cause of my emotions.

Self- awareness, at times, has played a positive role in my professional life. I once worked for a very dissonant leader. They were known to spread negative emotions and take credit for the work of their followers. One day this leader came to my desk and had very stern words to say about a report I had delivered at their request. They said the numbers were wrong and the report had the incorrect dates. Basically, everything about the report was incorrect in their eyes. This confrontation angered me! I looked at my email and confirmed that I ran the report correctly. I wanted to go talk to them but realized that my anger would be contagious and it would be good for nobody, so I convinced myself not to visit their office. The next morning they came to apologize and admitted they were incorrect in scolding me. If I was not aware of my emotions then I would have made the situation much worse and it could have negatively affected my career.

Self-management is the ability to handle our distressing emotions so they do not negatively affect our production (Goleman, 2012). I feel that I do not always succeed in handling my emotions. I know that emotions tend to get the best of all of us but I must work to be more aware of the negativity my undesirable emotions could create. 

For example, the other day I watched a college football game that created a whirlwind of emotions. The final result was my favorite football team blowing a 24 point lead. Over the last couple of years, I have not gotten angry at sports as I realize that they serve as a mode of entertainment. However, on this day I did get angry. When my girlfriend got home, she did not even have to ask how the game went as she could tell by my poor mood. After a couple of minutes, she told me that my bad mood was beginning to rub off on her, which made me realize the effects of my poor self-management.

Though this example took place home, it must serve as a learning experience. If this would have taken place at work then it could have been a hindrance on my career. Nobody wants to be around an individual who spreads negative feelings. My girlfriend told me I reminded her of Eeyore the other day because my negative feelings about the game opened the floodgates of negativity about everything. I must be careful and make sure I suppress the negative emotions as a leader. Goleman (2012) reminded us that we should work to manage the distressing emotions while attuning to the positive emotions.

Empathy is the ability to know what another individual is feeling and adjust your actions to these feelings (Goleman, 2012). This is the dimension of emotional intelligence in which I feel I fail at most consistently, which really opens up my eyes. I have proclaimed in many posts that I feel that people are the most important factor of a company. I have stated that leaders need to pay attention to their followers in an effort to be efficient. According to Goleman (2007), individuals are wired to show empathy and help others, but we fail to remain empathetic because our focus is in the wrong place. Most of the time, our focus is on us and our complete self-absorption (Goleman, 2007).

One example displaying my lack of empathy occurred when I worked at a restaurant in high school. On one particularly cold day, one of the managers sent me to the nearby grocery store to pick up a couple of supplies. This is a trip I made many times and would usually walk but decided against it this time due to the weather. I found the supplies and as I was checking out, I realized another one of the managers was a couple of people behind me in line. We began to talk and he said that he walked over but was uncomfortable due to the cold. I told him I decided to drive this time. I paid for the groceries, waved at him, got in my car, and drove back to work.

 It was not until I saw him come in the back door shivering that I realized what I had done. I was so caught up in me that I did not offer to give him a ride. I did not comprehend that he said that he walked in the cold. I did not listen enough to show empathy. I apologized profusely and he took it well, but I think about that instance often. I think about how easy it would have been to get out of my own head and think about someone other than me. Though this leader took my lack of empathy well this time, I may not be so lucky in future instances. My absent empathy could lead to negative consequences as a leader. So, how do I learn from this mistake and try to be more empathetic?

Goleman (2007) stated that we must begin to pay attention to the difference between focusing on ourselves and focusing on others. I must begin to work on focusing on others. Though I think about my previous example often, it did not serve as a great learning experience. I still have a flaw of missing cues from others because I get so wrapped up in me. There are times where I will have an interaction with a friend or coworker and realize that I was not empathetic after the conversation has taken place. I will slow down and think about our exchange and then realize my lack of empathy. As Goleman (2007) stated, all it takes is the simple act of noticing.

Goleman (2012) stated that the learned relationships or social skills consist of combining the other three dimensions together to develop relationships. I have always considered myself lacking in the department of social skills. I have always felt a bit uncomfortable in social situations. In the past, I blamed my lack of social skills on my introverted personality. However, this week has taught me that these absent skills may be linked to my lack of emotional intelligence.

I admit that I am not proficient in three of the four skills. I see each dimension as a stepping stone to emotional intelligence and because I often unconsciously lack empathy then I cannot claim that I have great social skills. Though I claim to have a deficiency in social skills, they can be improved. Learning how to manage my emotions will help to increase my empathy which could increase my social skills. As Goleman (2007) reminded us, we must learn to pay full attention to the individuals around us in an effort to become more emotionally intelligent.

References

Boyatzis, R. & McKee, A. (2005). Resonant leadership. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Publishing.

Goleman, D. (2007). Why aren’t we more compassionate? [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_goleman_on_compassion

Goleman, D. [Big Think]. (2012). Daniel Goleman introduces emotional intelligence [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7m9eNoB3NU

Lipman V. (2015). Why the best leaders are self-aware. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/victorlipman/2014/09/16/why-the-best-leaders-are-self-aware/#18c70fd42f02

Tracy. B. (2017). Why emotional intelligence is indispensable for leaders. Retrieved from  https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2017/10/30/why-emotional-intelligence-is-indispensable-for-leaders/#1b7800ed275b

No comments:

Post a Comment