Friday, November 10, 2017

A641.4.3.RB- Tipping Points of Emotional Intellegence

Have you ever experienced a moment either professionally or personally where things begin to change? Maybe there was an instance where you began to really enjoy the company of your favorite coworker. Maybe your boss gave you very bad advice and you began to think differently about them. Have you ever had a conversation or moment with your leader that began to positively change your opinion?  In borrowing a term from complexity theory Boyatzis (2006) stated that these moments are known as tipping points.

Boyatzis (2013) stated that change is not a process that continuously occurs and instead a change occurs with tipping points. So, what is a tipping point? According to Gladwell (2017), “The tipping point is that magic moment when an idea, diagnosis, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire” (Gladwell, 2017, para.1). In other words, a tipping point is an instance where a change begins to take place. My girlfriend is a huge fan of Taylor Swift who was responsible for a tipping point in social behavior. Taylor Swift began wearing dresses and cowboy boots in her music videos which created a trend that began to spread like wildfire (Gladwell, 2017). In our personal lives, the tipping point can be created by negative or positive emotions.

Boyatzis, Rochard, & Taylor (2015) described both the positive emotional attractor (PEA) and negative emotional attractor (NEA). According to Boyatzis et al. (2013), the PEA is described by positive emotions such as optimism and resonance. On the other hand, the NEA incorporates negative emotions such as fear, anger, and dissonance (Boyatzis, et al., 2015). I began to think about times that I have experienced a tipping point in my professional life and determined that I have experienced tipping points encouraged by both negative and positive emotional attractors.

A couple of years ago, I was included in an office game of musical chairs which ended in me being assigned to a new supervisor. The previous supervisor was someone who could be described as dissonant. This individual liked to micro-manage while also creating a culture that did not include autonomy. This type of leadership affected me negatively by creating stress and reducing my self-confidence. This particular leader also began to cause me to create errors and I began to work much harder to make sure that no mistakes were made. However, I created some sort of vicious circle where the fear of making mistakes led to me making more mistakes. I began to feel like I was getting trapped in the sacrifice syndrome. Boyatzis & McKee (2005) described sacrifice syndrome as withstanding great sacrifice for long periods of time without receiving any benefits. My stress level was high which caused me to also be dissonant. I would be lying through my teeth if I said I did not appreciate the changes in the office.

The tendency to display learned helplessness continued to follow me to my new supervisor. For the first several weeks, I asked them how they would like reports to be presented, I would check with them before making journal entries, and I would ask them questions regarding my general work.  About a month after the transition I went in to ask a question and they requested me to sit so we could have a conversation. They told me that I had been dealing with this area of the college longer than they have and they trusted my judgment. They said that if there were mistakes or if they preferred a report a certain way then they would let me know. They told me that I was doing a great job and that they trusted me.

Boyatzis (2013) stated that individuals who move us into the PEA assist us in opening up our world of possibilities or believe and have confidence in us. My new supervisor showed that she trusted my decisions. This tipping point helped me begin to feel more comfortable in my job. It helped me drop the self-doubt and learned helplessness and I began to be more confident on a daily basis. In this instance, I am not sure I would do anything differently. I attempted to take her positive compliments and use them in a way to help build not only me but my production at work, which I believe I was able to do.

As noted earlier, Boyatzis (2013) mentioned that change is not continuous but happens through these tipping points. The tipping point with my leader created a positive change in our relationship. However, there have been tipping points which had the adverse effect and began to create a less positive relationship.

Several years ago I worked on a report that had to be presented to the State of Florida. I meticulously worked on the report for weeks and sent it to my supervisor for review and approval a week before the deadline. She and I spent time verifying that all of the numbers were correct before it was sent to the department that was responsible for presenting the data. My supervisor then went over the data with the Executive Director of the department and no changes were made. I chalked it up to another successful year and moved on with my work.

Fast forward to the day before the reports are due. On this day my supervisor was out sick and I received a call from the Vice President of my department asking me to come to their office. I arrive to find the assistant director of the department that was responsible for the report also in the office. He then goes on a rant about how the report is wrong. He stated that the numbers were wrong and the report was pulling the incorrect data. He also was irate that we were shorting the department potential revenue to be matched by the state. I assured him that the numbers had been verified by multiple accountants and that they were correct. His anger did not subside which caused me to have negative emotional attractors.

My Vice President eventually asked me to correct the numbers because he was not going to back down. I corrected the numbers and the report was sent to the state, but looking back at the event, this was a tipping point wrapped in negative emotions. I was so angry at how the situation unfolded. I felt anxiety and disgust knowing that the report had been turned in incorrectly despite my warning. Boyatzis (2013) stated that we tend to remember negative emotions for a much longer amount of time. In this case, the statement is 100% true. I remember the anger and fear I felt that day. I remember going to the doctor after work and being so frustrated that they said if my blood pressure did not go down that I would be sent to the hospital (which did help to calm me down).

This instance also served as a tipping point in the relationship I had with the assistant director as our relationship was tainted from this point. When my supervisor returned, she was made abreast of the situation and spoke to the assistant director. It was determined that the numbers for the report were correctly compiled the first time. She spoke with the representative for the State and was able to submit the correct report. The thing I remember the most about this situation was the sadness created by the lack of trust. Looking back on the situation, I let my negative emotions get the best of me. Boyatzis and McKee (2005) stated that mindfulness and compassion are two keys to resonance. I wish I would have remained mindful and compassionate throughout this example. If so, I may have avoided the negative tipping point.

References

Boyatzis, R. (2006). Using tipping points of emotional intelligence and cognitive competencies to predict financial performance of leaders. Psicothema, 18(1), 124-131. Retrieved from http://www.psicothema.com/psicothema.asp?id=3287

Boyatzis, R. (2013). 4.2 Module 4.2 the positive (PEA) and negative (NEA) emotional attractors [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFiTIzGPvH4

Boyatzis, R. & McKee, A. (2005). Resonant leadership. Boston, MS: Harvard Business School Publishing.

Boyatzis, RE., Rochford, K, & Taylor, SN. (2015). The role of the positive emotional attractor in vision and shared vision: Toward effective leadership, relationships, and engagement. Frontiers in Psychology, 6 (670). Doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00670


Gladwell, M. (2017). The Tipping Point. Retrieved from gladwell.com: http://gladwell.com/the-tipping-point/

No comments:

Post a Comment