Monday, August 8, 2016

A511.6.3.RB-A leader from the past-Trey McNeil

Not long after I moved from Mississippi to Florida, I began working as an accountant at Daytona State College. In Mississippi, my only other professional job was an accounts receivable clerk, so I was not very confident in my abilities to perform at my new position. In fact, my degree was in banking and finance, and I realized the first day that the debits and credits were backward. I had a lot of learning to do and had a low morale and lack of confidence in my ability to adapt. Nosich (2016) describes transformational leadership as an individual creating a connection with another individual resulting in an increase in morale and motivation in both the leader and follower. I was fortunate enough to follow a leader who practiced transformational leadership and elevated my confidence.

The one thing I have learned during this leadership program is that the managers or supervisors are not always the real leaders. The leader I am referring to was not my director, but a coworker who took it upon himself to train me and show me the ropes. Bass (1999) referred to the four components of transformational leadership as idealized influence, inspirational motivation, intellectual stimulation, and individualized consideration. My coworker was able to utilize all four components to motivate me in the learning process.

Northouse (2016) described idealized influence or charisma as being a strong role model who followers wish to imitate. Looking back and applying what I have learned about transformational leadership, I see now that I did want to emulate my coworker. He was only a couple of years older than me, he understood the system well and knew the accounting rules and regulations, he seemed well-liked by everyone, he seemed to be ethical and was a very nice person. One of the first things he told me when teaching me to use the accounting system was that I cannot make a mistake that is not able to be fixed, so do not be worried about doing something wrong. His words resonated with me and began to build trust.

Inspirational motivation is the ability to communicate expectations to followers while motivating and inspiring them to commit to the organizational or departmental vision (Northouse, 2016). My coworker was great at leading through inspirational motivation. Though my main job function was to enter deposits and balance bank accounts, he made me feel like a key component of the department. He used to tell me that without the deposits entered and the bank accounts balanced, he would not be able to run the reports used to develop the financial presentation to the board or the audit reports. He was able to incorporate my job function into the bigger picture of the college and that made me more motivated to work harder.

Intellectual stimulation was another element that my coworker was able to exhibit while training me. According to Norhtouse (2016), intellectual stimulation is allowing followers the freedom to be creative or innovative in their job performance. Some of the spreadsheets that were being used by the department were a bit outdated and bulky, so he allowed me to alter them. He told me that just because the format of the spreadsheet worked for him doesn’t mean that there is not a better format that will be more beneficial to both of us. This action was another component to the trust we built. I felt like he trusted me in the fact that he allowed me to make decisions to remove obstacles while trying to be a more productive employee.

Individualized consideration is the final component of transformational leadership. Northouse (2016) described individualized consideration as providing support while listening to the needs of your individual followers. My coworker took the time to understand me individually. He knew that I was filled with self-doubt and would make sure to compliment my work. He understood that letting me know I did things correctly would help me feel more confident about the work. He also knew that I tend to ask several questions when given a new or unfamiliar task. He always made time to answer all of my questions and concerns.

Having this individual as a coworker, teacher, mentor, friend and most importantly leader taught me a lot about myself. I still have issues with self-confidence but working with him and moving forward using the lessons he taught me lessened my concern of self-confidence. He once told me that I was smart and a great accountant and that the only person that did not see that was me. I always try to remember that statement when I feel self-doubt start to creep in.  Another important factor he taught me was the standards of acting in a moral and ethical way. I have always had a need to do the right thing, so it was soothing to work with another individual who believed in ethics as much as I did. I have had leaders in the past that did not feel the need to be ethical, and it was very non-motivating.

Transformational leadership can be a very powerful and motivating leadership tool. I was fortunate to work with a transformational leader who helped form my work ethic while boosting my confidence. This coworker moved (ironically to Mississippi) a couple of years ago, but we still talk occasionally, and I usually try to have lunch with him when I am home. As I pondered our department’s current leadership styles, I do not believe anyone is a transformational leader. We have some great leaders utilizing many different styles, but transformational leadership is not as prevalent.

References   
                 
Bass, B. (1999), Two decades of research and development in transformational leadership. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 8 (1), 9-32. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/135943299398410


Northouse, P.G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and practice (7th ed). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage

No comments:

Post a Comment