Monday, August 29, 2016

A520.3.4.RB-Supportive Communication- Trey McNeil

Communication is one of the most important factors in a leadership/follower relationship. As a leader, supportive communication is critical if you wish to build a bond with your followers. Supportive communication involves delivering negative feedback in a manner that does not put stress on the relationship, but, in turn, should strengthen the relationship.  According to Whetten and Cameron (2016), the eight principles of supportive communication are: (a) congruent, (b) descriptive, (c) problem-oriented, (d) validating, (e) specific, (f) conjunctive, (g) owned, and (h) requiring supportive listening.

In evaluating an e-mail sent by the CEO of a technology firm to 400 managers, it was immediately obvious to me that the CEO did not utilize supportive leadership. This email was very harsh in the way the CEO attempted to motivate the managers in making sure their employees worked at least a forty hour work week. Whetten and Cameron (2016) described that supportive communication should be descriptive and not evaluative. Evaluative behavior occurs when a judgment is placed on the action or character of the person in which you are communicating. The CEO’s email was one hundred percent evaluative. The e-mail read, “You either do not know what your employees are doing or simply do not care.” Communication cannot get much more evaluative in my opinion.

Whetten and Cameron (2016) also believed that supportive communication should be problem-oriented and not person-oriented. In reading the email, this CEO described the situation in a person-oriented manner. The email was littered with phrases like “you do not care,” “you created poor expectations,” and “you have a problem.” If the email had been written where the scenario was the focus, such as, “I have noticed that some employees are not working a full forty hours, and I believe should be a point of discussion,” then the communication could have classified as supportive.

Supportive communication should be validating rather than invalidating (Whetten and Cameron, 2016). Validating communication would make the recipient feel understood and accepted, where invalidating communication would make the employee feel negative about themselves. There is no doubt in my mind that if I ever received a message like this from one of my bosses, I would feel very negative about my management style. The e-mail is extremely accusing and makes no attempt to make the recipients feel valued. Regarding validity, this email fails with flying colors.

Supportive communication should also include two-way communication. This email was lacking the open communication aspect without a doubt. Whetten and Cameron (2016) stated that individuals could feel validated when they are given the opportunity to express their opinion. The message from the CEO did not allow any two-way opinions. The CEO stated, “You have a problem, and you will fix it, or I will replace you.” It does not seem like the CEO cared about any of the manager’s opinions. This CEO had their mind made up of how things were going to work and no other opinions were requested.

Whetten and Cameron (2016) stated that supportive communication should conjunctive. Communication that is conjunctive is connected to prior conversations, and disjunctive communication is unconnected to previous conversations. The provided email does not seem to be connected in any way to previous conversations. In my opinion, this email represents a threatening rant that, with a couple of changes, could have been a more supportive and productive message.

The final principle stated by Whetton and Cameron (2016) was that supportive communication involves supportive listening. Supportive communication should not be a one-way order. Effective supportive communication involves opening up a line of communication. It is not just ordering followers what to do without seeking their opinion. In the e-mail example, the CEO did not open up the lines of communication. They simply stated how they wanted things to be, and that was the end of the conversation. There was no passing go and no collecting $200.

As I read the email, I thought about how I could avoid receiving this type of message at work. In my opinion, the email was very threatening and had a negative tone, so I would never want to receive that type of e-mail. Any e-mail threatening my job is a no-go for me. My first thought about how to avoid an email of this nature was pretty obvious… do not arrive late or leave work early. Simply working eight hours should eliminate the threatening email. But, there are times when I may need to work less than an eight hour day over the next month. In fact, I was late today due to a doctor’s appointment. When I am arriving late to work or having to leave early, communication to my supervisor is key. On Friday, I was descriptive in my request and my supervisor was flexible in the communication in utilizing two-way communication and granting the late arrival. There was no issue in my tardiness because it was discussed with my supervisor and we arrived at an agreeing plan of action.

Another tactic that I could take to avoid some of the problems associated with the example email is by understanding my job. What I mean by that is I must understand that sometimes overtime is a necessity to complete all of the tasks associated with my job description.  I know that the previous fiscal year must be closed in July, audit preparation must be done in April, and the Foundation budget must go to the board in November. I know if I try to take a week-long vacation during these times then I would not be surprised if I received an email comparable to the email in the example. I do not believe my supervisor would be as direct and threatening, but the content would be similar.
To me, the most frightening part of the e-mail is that the CEO admonished the managers for creating a culture where the employees believe they can work only 40 hours a week. With what I have learned over the last couple of weeks regarding work-life balance and stress, I think I have settled on not working for a high-technology company.

Reference


Whetten, D. & Cameron, K. (2016). Developing management skills (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall/Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment