Monday, August 15, 2016

A520.2.3.RB-10 minutes a day- Trey McNeil

This week I had the opportunity to watch a 2012 TED speech by Andy Puddicombe. In this video Puddicombe (2012) discussed the benefit of spending just 10 minutes a day to slow down and think about the present while doing nothing. He described how just 10 minutes a day of self-reflection could reduce stress. He stated that thinking about your issues while doing nothing will help you see the problems in a different and less stressful manner. I decided to practice his techniques for three days to see what type of effect they would have on me.

When I read this prompt, I had two immediate thoughts about the subject. My first thought was I bet sitting for 10 minutes a day with my thoughts will do nothing for me. I imagined it would just be a waste of a valuable piece of my day. My mind races all of the time about everything. It is common for me to get no sleep because my mind will not slow down long enough for me to stop stressing about whatever it is I am thinking about at the time. Puddicombe (2012) discussed how we have the tendency to stress ourselves out about something in the future which causes us to worry about the future worry. That concept reminds me of a magician pulling out the never-ending handkerchief. Anxiety becomes nonstop and is hard to control, and I am a usual participant in the magician’s stress act.

My second initial opinion of the prompt was that if it did work, then it came at a great time in my life. I decided to take the max load of three graduate classes during the most challenging time of the year at work. I was also rear-ended over the weekend, so my mind has been a non-stop ball of stress lately.  Since I signed up for the third class, I have often caught myself thinking about my decision and feeling regret and worry. I know in the long run that this is the best thing for me, but my brain and my level of stress have not agreed on that subject. The last week has been very stressful, but as the video discussed, there are easy ways to help diminish the stress. Puddicombe (2012) mentioned that individuals stress and dread approximately 47% of their lives, which seems very depressing.  I thought to myself, “I bet I stress at least 60% of the time, so trying this exercise cannot make it worse.”

When I sat down to “do nothing” on the first day, I did not have an open mind about the techniques. I told myself that doing this exercise would only make me focus and stress on a single problem more directly. The mind frame I took into the exercise skewed the results as I did begin to stress more about a single issue. My mind wandered to my impending schoolwork and deadlines in a non-peaceful manner.  One positive aspect of this exercise was the controlled breathing. In a 2016 article entitled Here’s how you can meditate anytime, anywhere, Madeline Diamond discussed Tibetan Buddhist Master Mingyure Rinpoche’s thoughts on meditation. Rinpoche described how the most important thing to meditation was awareness of your breath.  Whetten and Cameron (2016) also mentioned deep breathing as a temporary stress reducer.  Armed with the information about how to control breathing and an open mind, I decided that Putticombe’s techniques deserved another chance.

The second attempt of being in the present was much more peaceful. I was able to be aware of my breathing while spending ten minutes doing nothing. My mind still wandered to my schoolwork, but in a much more peaceful and less stressful manner. Putticombe (2012) mentioned that there might be something on you are thinking about that seems to rotate continually around your head. Schoolwork was that issue, but instead of stressing out about it, I was able to see it in a different light. There was almost a calming feeling about the upcoming assignments like my mind was telling me everything will be okay. By my third ten minute exercise, I felt extremely calm and peaceful throughout the entire exercise. To be honest, it was rather enjoyable.

This exercise was very eye-opening to me. I have to admit I have egg on my face regarding the exercise. I never thought it would work for me, and I was wrong. I learned that ten minutes a day doing nothing but staying in the present could reduce stress. I have noticed over the last couple of days that I am utilizing Putticombe’s techniques. Just the other day, I began to get overwhelmed at work and took about a minute to take a couple of deep breaths to focus on the issue. I plan on trying to use this technique daily to help reduce the stress of my busy schedule. I believe slowing down for ten minutes is worth feeling peace and calm after the completion of the exercise.

This exercise taught me that remaining in the present is an excellent way to reduce stress.  The ten minutes of doing nothing allows the mind to view all of the stressors in a different light.  I found my mind was able to slow down and reexamine all of the things that were worrying me so that I could get a better idea of how to handle them. This exercise was almost the act of rewriting my anxiety. I enjoyed the opportunity of learning to better myself through ten minutes of doing nothing.

References

Diamond, M. (2016).Here’s how you can meditate anytime, anywhere, Huffington Post, Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-tibetan-buddhist-masters-simple-guide-to-meditation_us_57850a79e4b07c356cfe8158

Putticombe, A. (2012). All it takes in 10 mindful minutes [TEDGlobal]. Retrieved from: https://www.ted.com/talks/andy_puddicombe_all_it_takes_is_10_mindful_minutes?language=en


Whetten, D. & Cameron, K. (2016). Developing management skills (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall/Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment