Monday, August 15, 2016

A635.2.3.RB-How companies can make better choices- Trey McNeil

Choices and decisions are elements that play a daily part of everyone’s lives. With decisions lie indecisiveness. Should I?, Should I not?, I will!, No, I will not!... Okay, I will do nothing! This indecisiveness is an example of the waffling that goes on in my head all of the time when faced with a decision.  The decision could be as simple as what movie to watch or should I go exercise. I had a world class debate in my head tonight about when to begin this blog. Individual decisions can be tough, but throw in a second person, and the decision could become much more difficult. I know I am not the only one to have trouble deciding where to eat with my significant other. Sometimes I feel like we need a strategic plan just to pick out where to go to dinner. Now, consider how difficult it can be for an organization to make decisions. I picture upper management squabbling in a board room much like husband and wife getting testy with each other about household decisions. In her 2010 Harvard Business interview, Marcia Blenko discusses the topic of how organizations can make better decisions.

Marcia Blenko implies that decisions should be used as the building blocks of the company (Better Decisions, 2010). In her interview, Blenko argued that decision effectiveness correlates positively with employee engagement and organizational performance, discussed some impediments to good decision making, and listed four elements to good decisions. Blenko summed up the importance of decision making by stating that companies will have at a higher rate of production a better financial position if better choices are made (Better Decisions, 2010).

I will further examine the statement that decision effectiveness correlates positively with engagement by examining two employees with the same job duties at different companies. Since I am sitting at my desk in the office doing this assignment, we will say that the employee’s job is to make the legs of desks. The first employee, who works at Desk Incorporated, has the workspace, tools, and authority to make the desk. Because this employee faces no boundaries, they have no slowdowns in the production of desk legs.

 On the other hand, the second employee working at Desk World does not have as easy in a time making desk legs. Desk World’s policy is for the employee first to ask management for the tools needed to build the desk legs, and then they must be told which workspace they will be using that day, and then must wait on management approval to begin working on the desks. The employee at Desk World has a much harder time doing their job, which will slow down production and eventually begin to stall organizational performance.  Brown (2011) defined motivational climate as the employee’s morale and overall attitude affecting the level of performance. Desk World may not know they are guilty of doing this, but having their employee jump through multiple hoops just to do their job creates a negative motivational climate.

Blenko touches on the fact that sometimes companies are not able to make good decisions because impediments stand in the way of the decision.  When asked about some of the things that get in the way of good decision making, Blenko stated that a major problem these days is complexity. She said that many companies operated in a matrix or cube, so it is very difficult to determine who makes decisions in today’s companies (Better Decisions, 2010). The organizational chart that was once prevalent in determining company’s decision makers is now unreliable.

Some other impediments, in my opinion, are control and conflicting agendas. After college, I took a job as an accounts receivable clerk at a law firm.  The firm had three managing partners, who were the namesake of the company, and six or seven shareholders. It was always interesting when firm decisions were to be made. The three managing partners seemed to hold control over the other shareholders, creating a stalemate in the decision. Also, there were many times where each of the ten decision makers had a different agenda as to why the decision must be one way or the other. I was never in the board room when decisions were being made, of course, but it seemed like decisions were more difficult than they had to be. In my opinion, there were too many hands in the proverbial cookie jar. Control and conflicting agendas are not part of the recipe of a good decision.  Though I believed this was a good place to work, the impediments that got in the way of the decision making began to affect the corporate culture.

Blenko suggests there are four elements to good decision making: quality, speed, yield, and effort (Better Decisions, 2010). Quality relates to the value of the decision. An organization may ask itself, “Did we make a good decision for the company?” Speed relates to how quickly the company made a decision compared to the competition. Today’s business world is fast-paced and cutthroat, so companies must make effective decisions quickly or they will be left behind. Yield revolves around the extent the decision was made according to the plan. The company would take a step back to view if the decision worked out like it was planned. The effort is the organizational cost and energy expended while making the decision. Blenko compares the effort to Goldilocks, where the amount of energy and cost should be just right (Better Decisions, 2010).

After listening to Blenko’s four elements in good decision making, I began to think if there was anything missing from her list. Are there any other factors that go into decision making? My first thought was prioritization. Companies must make sure to prioritize the decisions in order of importance. But in re-examining the elements, priority could be linked to quality. As an accountant, my next thought revolved around the budget and if the decision will have an effect on costs, which ties into the effort. I had several “aha” moments where I thought I discovered another important element, but they all linked back to one of Blenko’s original elements.

There are several things that I learned from this exercise. First, my company does not make decisions based on an organizational chart. In my department, it would be easy to say that the VP of Finance is on the top of the organizational chart, so the decision lies with her. The Controller, Budget Director, Assistant Controller, or Director of cash management would be part of the decision based on the subject, so department decisions do not lie solely in the hands of the VP. On a larger level, it seems like the college president would have the final say in the crucial college decisions, but he has an executive staff that could have differing agendas, and ultimately answers to a Board of Directors.

I also learned that I need to begin to factor the four elements of quality, speed, yield, and effort into my daily decisions. I have a habit of only factoring in quality when it comes to my decision making. I often ask myself, “Did I make the correct decision?” I used quality and only quality to determine if I made a good decision. I believed I made the correct decision, so it was an effective decision. I need to incorporate the other three elements into determining if my decision is effective.

References

Brown, D. R. (2011). An Experimental Approach to Organization Development (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.


How Companies Can Make Better Decisions, Faster - YouTube. (2010) Retrieved September 6, 2014, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbxpg6D4Hk8&feature=player_embedded

No comments:

Post a Comment