Monday, August 22, 2016

A520.3.3.RB-Constraints on Creative Problem-Solving

Problem-solving has always been an issue for me. I have never considered myself a good problem solver at work or in my personal life. As a child, I would sit in front of puzzles for long periods of time before finally giving up and walking away. In high school, I would look at my complex algebra word problems and think to myself, “Nope. Never going to happen.” Before I started the leadership program, I would read my girlfriend’s work with an overwhelming feeling of never being able to “solve the problem” defined in the prompt. Some of the constraints that have been roadblocks to creative problem solving are fear of failure, panic, lack of self-confidence, the need to be perfect, and lack of imagination. To one day be a creative problem solver, I must reduce these constraints.

I believe my biggest constraint to creative problem solving is my lack of self-confidence due to fear of failure. The fear of failure has a habit of creating mental blocks that stifle my problem-solving abilities before I start. I get in my own head and convince myself that I have no answers. I have such a large fear of failure that I would rather not even try to solve the problem than do something wrong. The leadership program has been a huge boost of self-confidence when it comes to self-doubt. There are times when I will read a prompt, start to get overwhelmed, and have an inner monologue littered with self-doubt, but when I begin to use the skills I have learned thus far, I overcome the issue.

Another constraint that sometimes gets in the way of my creative problem solving is my need to be perfect. This need is also linked to my fear of failure. I am not sure why I have such a need to be perfect, but when I am not, I become hard on myself and get in my own way. This process causes me to give up on the problems and shut down. The need to be perfect is a constraint I must push through during the process of creative problem solving.

Whetten & Cameron (2016) described the following four approaches to creativity: (a) imagination, (b) improvement, (c) investment, (d) and incubation. The one approach I struggle dearly with is imagination. Imagination is the creation of new ideas and drastic approaches to problem solving. Whetten & Cameron (2016) stated that problem solvers who use imagination are experimenters, speculators, and entrepreneurs who use creativity to develop new ideas. One problem I endure in problem solving is having a one track mind. As an accountant, things are very right or wrong, yes or no. I have issues breaking away from that personality when solving problems. I have had several people tell me that I could not solve a problem because I could not alter my thought process.

Lipcamon (2013) stated that the four types of conceptual blocks are (a) constancy, (b) commitment, (c) compression, and (d) complacency. Constancy is looking at a problem in a single way and using only one way to define and solve the problem (Lipcamon, 2013). As previously mentioned, I struggle dearly with complacency. My mind is a creature of habit, so I tend to use the same style of problem-solving for every problem. Just like many things in life, not all problems can be solved in one singular manner. I need to begin to incorporate imagination into my problem-solving routine. I also suffer from the conceptual block of commitment where I am committed to one solution or point of view and will not deviate from that point of view.

In 2011, I was promoted to Accountant II of the DSC Foundation. If I have not mentioned before, I was self-confident, but the first several months went okay. Fast-forward about nine months to the first audit under my reign. I ran into a problem where two reports that the auditors requested did not match. I began looking into all of the criteria that go into the report hoping to resolve the problem. When that did not work, many constraints began to act as roadblocks in the problem-solving process. I began to panic thinking that I did not post a journal entry or maybe entered something wrong. I then went through the constancy stage of running the reports over and over thinking that would solve the problem.

I became so committed to solving the problem one way that I was not able to think outside of the box to resolve the issue. I wasted too much valuable time trying to resolve the problem. Eventually, after I had thought I had gone through every possible scenario, I went to my supervisor for help. She solved the problem in about 5 minutes. There was a prompt clicked in one report and not the other. I looked over the criteria a countless number of times, but had convinced myself that was not the issue, so I never realized the criteria was different. I think about that scenario often, and use it as a learning experience. Like my dad used to always tell me, I made a mountain out of a molehill.

I learned that I need to think outside of my reasoning to solve a problem. I wasted time and energy going around and around when the problem could have been solved much easier by just taking a step back and thinking differently. Whetten and Cameron (2016) defined vertical thinking as “defining a problem a single way and then pursuing that definition until a solution is reached” (p. 150). In this instance, I could have benefitted from getting away from vertical thinking to solve the problem.

References

Lipcamon, J. (2013, April 03). Four obstacles to creative problem solving. Retrieved from http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/blog/four-obstacles-creative-problem-solving


Whetten, D. & Cameron, K. (2016). Developing management skills (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall/Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment