Saturday, August 27, 2016

A511.9.3.RB-Course Reflections- Trey McNeil

I have enjoyed this class, MSLD 511, immensely. My first two classes in the MSLD program focused on critical thinking and communication. Both classes were interesting and helped me develop skills that I lacked, but this was the first class to touch on leadership theories. I was excited to begin this class to start to learn the leadership concepts and theories, and I have to admit that I was not disappointed.

In the first module of this course, I was asked to provide my definition of leadership. After pondering the question for a while, I decided leadership is one’s ability to envision a goal and inspire or motivate others in the achievement of that goal. I am not sure I would change my definition, but I could have elaborated more on how the leader will inspire the follower. I have learned in this course that each leadership theory defines a different way the follower can be motivated. My description of the methods a leader may use to motivate followers was generic and could have been more detailed.
This course has opened my eyes regarding leadership and the different types of leadership. Before this class, I could have told you that I have had some poor leaders and some effective leaders in the past. I would not have had the ability to give further detail as to why. There were some who were just bad and some who were very good. This class has taught me why my previous leaders fit into the category of poor and effective.

I have learned in this class that an effective leader should not just stick to one leadership theory for all situations. I have had leaders in the past who are grouped into the “bad” category because they did not alter their leadership style to the follower or situation. One of my previous leaders would always use the directive (S1) style. According to Northouse (2016), the directing style consists of communication mainly focused on goals and support is the minority focus. All followers are not the same, so this style will not work for every follower. This leader should have adjusted the style to the followers needs to be more effective.

I have also had leaders that understood that trust was an important aspect of leadership or understood that each follower is motivated differently so utilized path-goal leadership. These leaders are grouped into the good leaders. This class has helped me understand what it takes to be an effective leader.
I aspire to be a leader that uses a plethora of leadership styles to develop the best relationship with my followers. I have mentioned in many previous posts that I believe people are the most important piece of the company. Sure production, goals, and turning a profit are all important, but none of that is obtainable without the heart of the organization, the people. I will do anything I could to take care of my followers. I believe that starts with developing trust. I would want my followers to understand that they have my trust and hope that the trust would be reciprocated.

 I would also utilize path-goal theory in the sense that all followers are not motivated in the same ways. I would hope to know my followers well enough to know what motivates them. Knowing what motivate them and removing the obstacles in their way can lead to a more productive, but more importantly more satisfied employee. I would also hope to be seen as empathetic to my followers. Nothouse (2016) defines empathy as understanding and identifying with others. If I am not able to identify with others, then I have lost the battle before it begins.

Finally, I would want to make my followers feel safe.  One of my favorite TED talks I discovered in this class was by Simon Sinek. Sinek (2010) explains that making the followers feel safe is an important part of being a good leader. He gives several examples where the leader was not worried about the company’s production or numbers. The number one priority was making the follower feel safe. This concept resonated with me, and I will strive to be a leader who makes their followers feel safe.

References

Northouse, P.G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and practice (7th ed). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage


Sinek, S. (2014). Why good leaders make you feel safe [TEDGlobal]. Retrieved from: https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_why_good_leaders_make_you_feel_safe?language=en

No comments:

Post a Comment