Monday, August 8, 2016

A520.1.3.RB-Self-Awareness Blog- Trey McNeil

One of the reasons I chose the MSLD program at Embry-Riddle was because of the effects it had on my girlfriend. She is a recent graduate of the program, and I was able to witness her transformation first-hand. I saw her progress as a leader, follower, and person in general. The conversations at dinner about the leadership concepts and theories she was studying that particular week would always draw my interest. Also, I have had some leaders in the past that failed to be effective causing me to wonder what they were doing wrong. What could I do more effectively if I was a leader?  When I began the program a little over three months ago, I hoped the program would change me, and it already has is several ways.

The program is showing me the value in myself which I may have never discovered. Whetten & Cameron stated, “What we value, how we feel about ourselves, how we behave toward others, what we want to achieve, and what we are attracted to are all strongly influenced by our emotional intelligence, cognitive style, orientation towards change, and core self-evaluation” (p. 48).  I do not believe my values have been altered by the program, as I have had unwavering values for as long as I can recall.

I also do not believe my cognitive style has changed since beginning the program. According to Whetton & Cameron (2016), the three types of cognitive change are the knowing style, planning style, and creating style. I have always had the trait of preparedness, so the planning style resonates with me. As an accountant, I also rely on the knowing style which emphasizes facts and data. During the program, I hope to grow into the creating style. I have noticed a transformation in the areas of emotional intelligence, attitudes toward change, and core self-evaluation. 

Whetten and Cameron (2016) defined emotional intelligence as “the ability to diagnose, understand, and manage emotional cues” (p. 49). Before entering the program, I had the tendency not to pick up on others emotional cues and failed to regulate and control my emotions. As embarrassing as it is to admit, I was the person who would let me emotions get the best of me while watching a football game. I would get frustrated and yell at the TV about how I felt regarding a play call, interception, or missed tackle (as if Drew Brees or Sean Payton could hear me, or even cared).

Whetten & Cameron said that with practice, emotional intelligence could be enhanced.  Over the last couple of months, I feel that I have enhanced my emotional intelligence and am no longer as emotionally awkward as I once was. I have begun to respond correctly to the emotions of others, though I still need to practice to transform my emotional intelligence completely.

I have always had a difficult time with change. I struggle with changes as small as one of my TV shows getting canceled, a process changing at work, or a new stop light added to my work route.  Stability has always been my friend because the alternative can be uncomfortable. Tolerance of ambiguity refers to “the extent to which individuals are threatened by or have difficulty coping with situations that are ambiguous, where change occurs rapidly or unpredictability, where information is inadequate or unclear, or where complexity exists” (Whetten & Cameron, 2008, p. 62). In a business world, change can occur quickly, and information can lack clarity. Through this program, I have learned to be effective as a leader; I must be more adaptive to change… I must become more comfortable with instability.

I believe my most prominent change has occurred in the area of core self-evaluation. One negative characteristic I have always had looming over me is self-doubt. I have never believed that I was good enough for anything, and believed a failure was inevitable.  Whetten and Cameron (2008) listed self -esteem as one of the four components making up positive self-regard (the degree that people value themselves or feel capable as individuals). When I began college at Mississippi State, I believed I was going to fail. That self-doubt followed me to Florida as I believed for about the first year that my firing was certain.

Recently, my self-doubt nearly caused me not to begin the pursuit of my Masters. Though I was looking forward to the positive changes the program could have on me, I was also terrified. As I watched my girlfriend compose deep discussions and amazing blogs, I thought to myself that I would never succeed in the program.  Over the last three classes, the program has taught me that I can succeed and has begun to remove the cloud of self-doubt that has followed me for years.

Whetten & Cameron (2008) mentioned that when individuals see themselves in a positive way, they seem to perform more effectively in any given situation. In my recent performance review, my manager commented that she had witnessed an increased confidence in my behaviors. I was awarded the elusive superior rating in several areas of my evaluation, where one superior was a big deal in past evaluations.  I still have areas of self-doubt, but the program has helped me comprehend that I am worth more than I previously realized and helped me inch closer to the person I want to be.

Reference


Whetten, D.  & Cameron, K. (2016). Developing management skills (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall/Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment